Guideline for creating issues » History » Version 15
Guideline/Rules for reporting issues¶
- To report an issue, use: https://movian.tv/projects/movian/issues/new
- Don't report duplicate bugs. At least try to look in the list first before reporting.
- If it's a bug, please attach the log file. How to do that, can be read here: https://movian.tv/projects/movian/wiki/Logging
- For bugs: Always write the version where the bug is found. There is a specific field for that. This does not apply for features.
- Don't reuse bugs. If a bug has been closed and it's not the exact same issue, file a new bug.
- Don't write multiple bugs/feature requests, etc in one single issue. It's harder to discuss and know when things are done.
- Unless you know that the bug is a regression (ie, something that worked fine in a previous version of Movian), please try using the latest version of Movian before filing the bug. The official versions are found here. If you are using your own builds or builds from somewhere else you better be sure what you are doing.
- If a file is unplayable for whatever reason you must attach a sample of it or it is almost impossible for me to figure out what's wrong.
- If the sample file is bigger than > 200 MB (it usually is for movies) the file can just be cut into pieces. 50Mb should be enough. This does not work for all fileformats but for AVI and MKV it should work fine.
- On Windows use this tool: http://www.filesplitter.org/
- On Linux use the dd command:
dd if=<originalfile> of=cut.mkv bs=1000000 count=50to generate a 50MB file
- If you are worried about attaching sensitive material to the issue, mark the issue as private (available at the top of the right side of the issue window). By doing so only a small set of trusted developers (currently two people) will be able to access the contents.
Failure to comply with these (simple) rules will result in the issue being rejected. If you think that's unfair for me to impose these rules consider the amount of time I've spend on the project so far. Badly written tickets will just consume more of my time that I could spend on new features instead.
Thank you for understanding,