Showtime 4.4 - list of features¶
- SMB / CIFS - "Windows shares"
- FTP - File Transfer Protocol
- Local file system.
- On PS3 it also support reading and writing from USB attached NTFS hard drives.
In addition to this normal HTTP can also be used for streaming.
- HLS - HTTP Live Streaming. For multi bit rate streams Showtime will select optimum stream based on available bandwidth.
- RTMP - Streaming protocol used for Flash players.
- HTSP - Streaming of Live TV from Tvheadend
Showtime supports plugins installed from a centralized repository. Some of the more popular plugins are Youtube, Navi-X, Twitch.tv, Opensubtitles, Spotify (Not available on PS3), SVT Play.
For the full list of available plugins see this link.
Plugins are, by default, automatically upgraded when a new version is available.
Searching using the toolbar on the home page will search in all installed plugins that support searching.
In-application automatic upgrades.¶
On PS3 and RPi Showtime can upgrade itself. In addition, on RPi it can also upgrade the entire STOS operating system.
The user can select to upgrade form three different tracks (In Settings -> General):
- Stable - Most stable version.
- Testing - Upgraded approximately bi-weekly depending on changes made and risk for severe bugs in the master branch.
- Bleeding Edge - Tracks master branch. Every commit made by the development team is a new release. Could be very unstable from time to time.
- All formats supported by libav can be played. For instnace, MKV, MOV, AVI, M2TS, etc. For a full list see here. Currently Showtime uses libav version 9.
- See libav's list for supported video decoders
- See libav's list for supported audio decoders
- In addition to this Showtime can also play various game music formats (not available on all platforms)
Hardware accelerated video decoding¶
- PS3: Accelerated h.264 (Up to Level 4.2) and MPEG-2
- Rpi: Accelerated h.264, h.264, MPEG-4 (DivX, Xvid), MPEG-2, VP8, VP6, MJPEG
- Linux: Accelerated h.264 using VDPAU (only on Nvidia cards)
- OS X: Accelerated h.264
- Linux: Digital pass thru of DTS, AC3, E-AC3. For PCM output up to 32 bit 192kHz is supported depending on source content. Discrete multi channel output is also supported.
- PS3: Multi channel audio streams are re-encoded to 6 or 8 channel DTS (Limitation of PS3 LV2 operating system)
Built-in metadata lookup¶
- Artist and Album graphics are looked up using last.fm
- Movie metadata (including posters) are looked up via themoviedb.org
- TV shows (including posters) are looked up via thetvdb.org
- Metadata lookup can be turned on/off per folder. (Default on)
- Options exist for user to choose if multiple results are available. A custom search query can also be entered.
Supported subtitle formats (External files)¶
- DVD Subtitles and VOBSUB
- SUB (Microdvd)
- Automatic code page detection using language heuristics
- On the fly decompression of .zip files and .gz files containing subtitles
- Built in HTTP server available on port 42000. Currently this is mostly used for diagnostics.
- Built in FTP server. This is default disabled but can be enabled in Settings -> Network