Showtime 4.4 - list of features¶
Showtime supports plugins installed from a centralized repository. For a list of available plugins see this link.
Searching using the toolbar on the home page will search in all installed plugins that support searching.
File browsing protocols¶
- SMB / CIFS - "Windows shares"
- FTP - File Transfer Protocol
- Local file system.
- On PS3 it also support reading and writing from USB attached NTFS hard drives.
In addition to this normal HTTP can also be used for streaming.
- All formats supported by libav can be played. See here for a full list. Currently Showtime uses libav version 9.
- See libav's list for supported video decoders
- See libav's list for supported audio decoders
- In addition to this Showtime can also play various game music formats (not available on all platforms)
Hardware accelerated video decoding¶
Decoding video is a complex task and on most systems hardware acceleration is needed to achieve decent performance.
- PS3: Accelerated h.264 (Up to Level 4.2) and MPEG-2
- Rpi: Accelerated h.264, h.264, MPEG-4 (DivX, Xvid), MPEG-2, VP8, VP6, MJPEG
- Linux: Accelerated h.264 using VDPAU (only on Nvidia cards)
- OS X: Accelerated h.264 (Using VDA)
- Linux: Digital pass thru of DTS, AC3, E-AC3. For PCM output up to 32 bit 192kHz is supported depending on source content. Discrete multi channel output is also supported.
- PS3: Multi channel audio streams are re-encoded to 6 or 8 channel DTS (Limitation of PS3 LV2 operating system)
Built-in metadata lookup¶
- Artist and Album graphics are looked up using last.fm
- Movie metadata (including posters) are looked up via themoviedb.org
- TV shorws (including posters) are looked up via thetvdb.org
- Metadata lookup can be turned on/off per folder. (Default on)
- Options exist for user to choose if multiple results are available. A custom search query can also be entered.
- HLS - HTTP Live Streaming. For multi bit rate streams Showtime will select optimum stream based on available bandwidth.
- RTMP - Streaming protocol used for Flash players.
- HTSP - Streaming of Live TV from Tvheadend
Supported subtitle formats (External files)¶
- DVD Subtitles and VOBSUB
- SUB (Microdvd)
- Automatic code page detection using language heuristics
- On the fly decompression of .zip files and .gz files containing subtitles
- Browsing and playback of content from UPnP/DLNA shares.