Gentoo + Showtime on USB stick

Added by ramaza - about 10 years ago

I am thinking about the easiest way to make my Gentoo based Showtime system on USB stick available for testers.

The download itself isn't the problem but I am thinking about a safe and easy way of installing it with Windows/Linux/Mac on any kind of USB stick so that booting from this stick works afterwards.

Replies (3)

RE: Gentoo + Showtime on USB stick - Added by Tom Senior about 10 years ago

Hows it getting on mate are you any closer to a working release of your gentoo usb stick.

Cheers Tom

RE: Gentoo + Showtime on USB stick - Added by ramaza - about 10 years ago

I am sorry that I didn't offer any news regarding this topic. I am very busy at the moment and I need to find time to prepare some things. Afterwards I can release the very first alpha version. But please don't expect too much. The first goal is to boot and directly get into Showtime to watch TV with Tvheadend. There is even no way of saving settings at the moment. This is the next step.

By the way Tom. I wrote you a private mail a few weeks ago. But I never got an answer. I will simply ask the same question here:
Do you have a Linux system or at least a Linux live CD you could use for the install process?

I think a user friendly procedure would be a very small ISO CD-Image with a live Linux that does the installation on USB-Stick. This CD has the USB-Image builtin but can also download newer versions if necessary. But it's important to work out some automatic and failsafe procedures to choose the correct USB-Stick and not to overwrite the computers harddisk :-)

Regards,
Franz

RE: Gentoo + Showtime on USB stick - Added by Tom Senior about 10 years ago

Sorry I didn`t reply mate. Yes I have a couple of pc`s using debian/ubuntu. Send me your instructions and ill give it a go. I can fresh install on either of these pc`s. Have you considered an approach somewhere near to that of openelec.

Cheers Tom

(1-3/3)