Movian Remote (Android)

Added by Claes Hallström about 6 years ago

Hi!

Just discovered this project a few weeks ago. Since then I have used it on my raspberry pi every day and i love it. Even though i can I use my tv-remote without any problem I really didn't have any ongoing android project so I thought iI would give it a go :)

I just did my first release (https://github.com/claha/showtimeremote, first time using github as well). Right now it is very basic but you can send all available commands and set ip address and port number. The user interface consist of only when button but when pressed you are offered a list of all the actions. I did this in the first release because I don't really know what all the actions do in the different states, i.e. when browsing my nas or playing a video. So figuring this out will be my next step.

Under "release" on github you can download an apk or download the source code and build it yourself :)

Please let me know what you think of it, I am open for suggestions when it comes to the actual design later on.

Replies (67)

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by zoe joe almost 6 years ago

Some thing i noticed, tested on 7, 8 and 10 inch tablets...when u press the circle (in the middle of the direction buttons) to enter a text for the on screen keyboard. But there is no way to use the buttons to select a letter and enter it or to exit the on screen keyboard.

I like the heads up on new version, multiple profiles and better UI, cool icon :). Some wishes of mine would be to have a true black background or maybe set a image as background :) I hope you will keep developing it and thank you for this updated version.

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by test privat almost 6 years ago

thanks will test it immediately ;)

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Leonid Protasov almost 6 years ago

Claes Hallström wrote:

Hi everyone!

New release (v0.0.4), try it out :) https://github.com/claha/showtimeremote/releases

If you have any ideas for future features please let me know :)

Thanks for a new version. It is now looking more cool with bigger buttons on my GT-7100 :)

Found a little bug - if WiFi on the phone is off and you run the app - it crashes.

You made profile selection under settings. Instead of that - IMHO it could be better to list them in the main menu from the beginning so you can quickly switch between them.
Also you have alot of white space above buttons - so you can remove Home and just show currently selected profile and/or IP address in both Navigation and Media screens. That could make it even more simplier and nice :)

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Claes Hallström almost 6 years ago

zoe joe wrote:

Some thing i noticed, tested on 7, 8 and 10 inch tablets...when u press the circle (in the middle of the direction buttons) to enter a text for the on screen keyboard. But there is no way to use the buttons to select a letter and enter it or to exit the on screen keyboard.

I like the heads up on new version, multiple profiles and better UI, cool icon :). Some wishes of mine would be to have a true black background or maybe set a image as background :) I hope you will keep developing it and thank you for this updated version.

I can't really produce the problem you are mentioning. I can use the navigation keys to navigate the on screen keyboard and use the middle button to enter that letter into the text field and then use Cancel/Ok. One of the next things on my list is to try and make it possible to change the background :)

Leonid Protasov wrote:

Claes Hallström wrote:

Hi everyone!

New release (v0.0.4), try it out :) https://github.com/claha/showtimeremote/releases

If you have any ideas for future features please let me know :)

Thanks for a new version. It is now looking more cool with bigger buttons on my GT-7100 :)

Found a little bug - if WiFi on the phone is off and you run the app - it crashes.

You made profile selection under settings. Instead of that - IMHO it could be better to list them in the main menu from the beginning so you can quickly switch between them.
Also you have alot of white space above buttons - so you can remove Home and just show currently selected profile and/or IP address in both Navigation and Media screens. That could make it even more simplier and nice :)

Nice that you found that bug, kinda hard to spot since you almost always have WiFi/Mobile data. I have already commited some new code which deals with that. Both the Home and About screens are a bit unnecessary, already removed on my latest commit. I've also added your suggestion about profile selection. So right now there is a bar at the bottom with the current selected profile. If you have multiple profiles you can swipe left/right to circulate between your profiles, a lot simpler and better looking as you said :)

I hope I can make a new release this week :) I will mainly focus on structuring up a bit of the code before I look into more features.

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Leonid Protasov almost 6 years ago

Claes Hallström wrote:

I hope I can make a new release this week :) I will mainly focus on structuring up a bit of the code before I look into more features.

Thanks. Will wait for a new version to test ;) I wonder if you can push the app to playmarket?

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Claes Hallström almost 6 years ago

Leonid Protasov wrote:

Thanks. Will wait for a new version to test ;) I wonder if you can push the app to playmarket?

I have never published an app on google play but it is definitely the plan to do that. I'm really starting to like it now when I removed Home and added the faster/convenient switching betwwen profiles, so if v0.0.5 is bug free and people like it I will look into how to publish an app and have the next version released there :)

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by nikkpap (Nikos) almost 6 years ago

can someone help to port this into windows phone too... ???

very nice job by the way keep up the good work, this is by far the best lightwave mediacenter ever...

just an idea try to add internal virtual keyboard support from android not using the showtimes keyboard

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by edward l over 5 years ago

Very nice program.

Some minor suggestions...

1. On larger tablets and also I assume higher resolutions there is a lot of empty space on the screen. Could you possibly make an option to combine navigation and media onto one screen, perhaps even a custom layout so you can pick and chose which icons you want on the screen, perhaps even custom icon/theme support.

2. Now playing & seek bar... have no idea if Showtime can do that though.

3. File browser with SMB support, again no idea if showtime can do that.

3.1. File browser database, keep the folder/file/tag structure on the local device to reduce loading times, build the database using a win/linux app on the server or something like that and copy to the SD card and let the remote app update what's missing or removed.

If you manage to do that the remote will be perfect.

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Claes Hallström over 5 years ago

Nikolaos Pap wrote:

can someone help to port this into windows phone too... ???

very nice job by the way keep up the good work, this is by far the best lightwave mediacenter ever...

just an idea try to add internal virtual keyboard support from android not using the showtimes keyboard

Don't really like Windows, so I will never touch a Windows phone or develop an app for it :P But if someone wants to give it a go I can help with the HTTP interface to Showtime :) A virtual keyboard would be great, probably just need to extend the HTTP API...

edward l wrote:

Very nice program.

Some minor suggestions...

1. On larger tablets and also I assume higher resolutions there is a lot of empty space on the screen. Could you possibly make an option to combine navigation and media onto one screen, perhaps even a custom layout so you can pick and chose which icons you want on the screen, perhaps even custom icon/theme support.

2. Now playing & seek bar... have no idea if Showtime can do that though.

3. File browser with SMB support, again no idea if showtime can do that.

3.1. File browser database, keep the folder/file/tag structure on the local device to reduce loading times, build the database using a win/linux app on the server or something like that and copy to the SD card and let the remote app update what's missing or removed.

If you manage to do that the remote will be perfect.

For larger screens I should probably have a different layout. I've been thinking about going to the IRC channel for sometime and talk to some of the guys there. Maybe there is already a lot more implemented than is vissible to the HTTP API. It shouldn't be to hard to for example query Showtime what is happening right now, to get "Now playing". Something like that would also open up the possibility to automatically change from navigation to media controls when starting video/audio :)

New release v0.0.5 :) https://github.com/claha/showtimeremote/releases

Mostly updated non visual stuff. But the Home and About screens are gone and it is possible to change profile in Navigation and Media by swiping left or right in the bottom bar.

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by - SBP - over 5 years ago

Claes Hallström wrote:

Mostly updated non visual stuff. But the Home and About screens are gone and it is possible to change profile in Navigation and Media by swiping left or right in the bottom bar.

Tested and working great so far. Keep up the great work. I really am enjoying your app. I also have spread the word whenever I see forum posts about new st builds to check out this project to round out their st experience. I hope you are enjoying making it as much as we are in using it! I think you should keep a features list of accepted & rejected so we do not keep offering the same stuff feature wise etc... great stuff Cheers.

Sbp

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Leonid Protasov over 5 years ago

Claes Hallström wrote:

Found some bugs. When I installed 0.5 over 0.4 and run it I see double new commit message.

IP address at the bottom bar misses port.

When you change ip adddress in settings it is not autosaved to current profile.

Pressing return button on the phone closes app instead of returning from settings back to media or navigation.

Feature requests:
Swipe on white background could change between media and navigation. Or just add a button at the upper corner to switch between them. Switching via menu is not convenient. Maybe we dont need menu at all? Just use its button for switching between media and navigation.

Settings could be called by long bottom bar press.

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Leonid Protasov over 5 years ago

Just a thought. Do we need port at all? Showtime has fixed 42000 so maybe it's more convenient to remove it.

sb p wrote:

Tested and working great so far. Keep up the great work. I really am enjoying your app. I also have spread the word whenever I see forum posts about new st builds to check out this project to round out their st experience. I hope you are enjoying making it as much as we are in using it! I think you should keep a features list of accepted & rejected so we do not keep offering the same stuff feature wise etc... great stuff Cheers.

Sbp

Thanks for spreading the word, I had 41 downloads on v0.0.4 :) I should probably update the first post to include more information, features, bugs etc.

Leonid Protasov wrote:

Found some bugs. When I installed 0.5 over 0.4 and run it I see double new commit message.

IP address at the bottom bar misses port.

When you change ip adddress in settings it is not autosaved to current profile.

Pressing return button on the phone closes app instead of returning from settings back to media or navigation.

Feature requests:
Swipe on white background could change between media and navigation. Or just add a button at the upper corner to switch between them. Switching via menu is not convenient. Maybe we dont need menu at all? Just use its button for switching between media and navigation.

Settings could be called by long bottom bar press.

The commit/release notifications doesn't really work the way I want them to. Hopefully I will release it on Google Play soon and then they are not needed anymore. I removed the port, as you say in your next post it's not really needed. As of now the profiles are static, the plan is to make them dynamic so that you can change for example IP. Swiping on the background would be more convinient and make the app more slick :)

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by STLcardsWS :) over 5 years ago

Very nice work @Claes Hallström

Posted a news articles here: :)
http://www.psx-place.com/ps3-news/1262/showtime-remote-control-showtime-with-your-andorid-device.html

then i also made a quick pic

STLcardsWS :) wrote:

Very nice work @Claes Hallström

Posted a news articles here: :)
http://www.psx-place.com/ps3-news/1262/showtime-remote-control-showtime-with-your-andorid-device.html

then i also made a quick pic

Nice article and thanks for the publicity :) Just checked the download count on github and it's 294 :) I haven't kept an eye on it (maybe can somehow?) but last time I checked it was 40 something, your article must have mad a lot more people interested in this :)

A new release is coming up soon with two new buttons (Media Stats and Play Queue) and a more convenient way of switching between the two remotes :)

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by - SBP - over 5 years ago

I am happy that I could if nothing else could help spread the word, other ppl will appreciate this app as much as I do, so thanks STLcardsWS for making full news releases on both sites. Claes Hallström deserves for others to ( and they will ) enjoy this awesome android remote for ST as much as I do.

Keep up the great work Claes Hallström, looking forward to all your releases. Cheers!

Sbp

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Aaron Lee over 5 years ago

I tried to install this on my android phone and all I got was: "There is a problem parsing the package".

My phone is rooted as well. I am not sure why I am getting this error as I have never had it before.

Aaron Lee wrote:

I tried to install this on my android phone and all I got was: "There is a problem parsing the package".

My phone is rooted as well. I am not sure why I am getting this error as I have never had it before.

Never heard of that either, a quick googling gave me the following possible reasons
  • The Downloaded .apk file is Currupted or not fully downloaded
  • You might have turned off “Allow installation of apps from Unknown Sources”
  • If the App is not Compatible with the Hardware or the Version of OS you are using.

So please download the apk again, make sure you are allowing installation from unkown sources.

What version of Android are you running? The current minSdkVersion is set to 16, it could probably be lower to allow for more more versions of android. I will look into how low I can set it.

Claes Hallström wrote:

Aaron Lee wrote:

Never heard of that either, a quick googling gave me the following possible reasons
  • The Downloaded .apk file is Currupted or not fully downloaded
  • You might have turned off “Allow installation of apps from Unknown Sources”
  • If the App is not Compatible with the Hardware or the Version of OS you are using.

So please download the apk again, make sure you are allowing installation from unkown sources.

What version of Android are you running? The current minSdkVersion is set to 16, it could probably be lower to allow for more more versions of android. I will look into how low I can set it.

I actually seen this problem on one of the devices. Worked no problem on one but the other i would get the parsing error, i tried ever fix i could for that error and nothing worked. It was running android v4.0.1 .

STLcardsWS :) wrote:

I actually seen this problem on one of the devices. Worked no problem on one but the other i would get the parsing error, i tried ever fix i could for that error and nothing worked. It was running android v4.0.1 .

Then it is probably the minSdkVersion, 16 equals Android 4.1. It seems that I can lower it to 11 (Android 3.00) without any problems, I will try and push out a new release with this fix tonight along with some of the new stuff I have been updating :)

v0.0.6 out now :) This release introduces a ViewPager to switch between Navigation and Media instead of the previous NavigationDrawer. This version should also work with Android 3.0 and up, previously it only worked on 4.1 and up.

Claes Hallström wrote:

v0.0.6 out now :) This release introduces a ViewPager to switch between Navigation and Media instead of the previous NavigationDrawer. This version should also work with Android 3.0 and up, previously it only worked on 4.1 and up.

very nice :0 .. that fixed the issue i had on some devices. works as it should. very impressive app and well needed :)

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Johny Mahoney over 5 years ago

Does this App work on Android 5.0 (Lollipopp) too ?

1 2 3 (26-50/67)