Movian Remote (Android)

Added by Claes Hallström about 6 years ago

Hi!

Just discovered this project a few weeks ago. Since then I have used it on my raspberry pi every day and i love it. Even though i can I use my tv-remote without any problem I really didn't have any ongoing android project so I thought iI would give it a go :)

I just did my first release (https://github.com/claha/showtimeremote, first time using github as well). Right now it is very basic but you can send all available commands and set ip address and port number. The user interface consist of only when button but when pressed you are offered a list of all the actions. I did this in the first release because I don't really know what all the actions do in the different states, i.e. when browsing my nas or playing a video. So figuring this out will be my next step.

Under "release" on github you can download an apk or download the source code and build it yourself :)

Please let me know what you think of it, I am open for suggestions when it comes to the actual design later on.

Replies (67)

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Andreas Smas about 6 years ago

Cool stuff!

Charging my Android phone to test this out.

If you want to discuss details about API, etc please join #showtime on freenode IRC network.

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by - SBP - almost 6 years ago

I like this idea as well, I do hope to see this developed further. I tested this on my samsung galaxy note 10.1 2014 tablet and it worked fine. Needs more of course but worked without issue. Great job!

Feature request: new version & notifications while in your app for upgrade notice convenience.

Cheers

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Claes Hallström almost 6 years ago

Fun that someone is trying it out :) Was busy last week (visited a friend in germany and drank some beer :P) but i hope that I'll be able to do some work on the app this week.

@sb p: Do you mena that you would like a notification in the app when a push has been made to git? If it ever gets released on google play i guess that is handled automatically??

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Aben Escalante almost 6 years ago

That android remote app would be very, very handy, a lot of people has android phones it seems that android is being used even for media centers now a port of showtime to android would be awesome too but who knows if that is ever going to happen.

Hi!

New big update today! I'm now using the navigation drawer interface and I have added two different controls. One for navigation and one for media (i.e. when playing a video). Still a lot of work to do with the design but I hope it's getting better :)
The new relase can be downloaded from https://github.com/claha/showtimeremote/releases, use the provided apk or build it yourself. Enjoy!

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Jordan Scango almost 6 years ago

Hehe, I made a Showtime remote for Unified Remote(http://www.unifiedremote.com) the other day, didn't know someone was already making a standalone one.

I'll upload it here anyway, since Unified Remote works on iOS and Windows Phone too. But a standalone one seems better since Unified Remote needs a server.

It requires their beta v3 server, because I couldn't find any working resources for building a remote for their v2 server.

Here's a sceenshot: http://i.imgur.com/lrA6anr.png

(Use the .zip download, accidently uploaded an older version that's missing a workaround for a bug in the v3 server)

Showtime Remote.7z (28.3 KB)

Showtime.zip (29 KB)

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Aben Escalante almost 6 years ago

Thank you I tested your android app and it works perfectly!! Thank you again.

Finally getting some more time to work on this :) The navigation control now has icons instead of text and I have implemented on press, i.e. we can just press and hold the down button to continuously move down. Next up is icons for the media controller.
Does anyone know if it's okey to use the showtime icon as the appicon?

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Andreas Smas almost 6 years ago

Claes Hallström wrote:

Finally getting some more time to work on this :) The navigation control now has icons instead of text and I have implemented on press, i.e. we can just press and hold the down button to continuously move down. Next up is icons for the media controller.

I'd prefer if you didn't since Showtime also can run as an Android app and i hope to bring that more up to speed and include it in the releases some time during next year

Andreas Öman wrote:

Claes Hallström wrote:

I'd prefer if you didn't since Showtime also can run as an Android app and i hope to bring that more up to speed and include it in the releases some time during next year

Okey, no problem I'll make one myself :)

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by test privat almost 6 years ago

can you pleas fix that?
galaxy s2 I9100

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by zoe joe almost 6 years ago

Working as intended, tested on Galaxy Tab 2 (GT-P5110) and Galaxy Tab 3 (SM-T310. Thanks for this app

I'm really glad that people are trying this app out :) Released a new version today, i.e. new apk can be downloaded from github. I've added icons instead of text and it's now possible to press and hold to the navigation keys (up,down,left,right) to faster navigate in Showtime.

Please let me know if there is something you miss in the app or if you find a bug. Here (https://showtimemediacenter.com/projects/showtime/wiki/HTTP_API) you can find a link to all the available commands that could be implemented in my app, I haven't had time to test out what all of them do so I have only included the must common on useful ones in the app.

@test_privat: Your issue should now be fixed with the new ui

Claes Hallström wrote:

thank you very much, i love this app
it's not worked for me, crashes on star :(
yes it works after phone restart :) (but it crashes if i tap about, and enter button don't work)

test privat wrote:

Claes Hallström wrote:

yes it works after phone restart :) (but it crashes if i tap about, and enter button don't work)

Updated v0.0.3 release with a new apk, so now it should be working correctly :)

Claes Hallström wrote:

test privat wrote:

Claes Hallström wrote:

Updated v0.0.3 release with a new apk, so now it should be working correctly :)

yes, everything seems fine, tankou very much.

Great app,

Works & looks great (although small) on my galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition!
Feature requests if you take them.

1:) custom font sizes etc.(icon size is small for large tablets like my galaxy note 10.1 2014)
2:) file manager interface options would be cool.
3:) custom background img setting would be nice as well.
4:) search bar integration would be neat.
5:) multiple showtime htpc remote settings (similar to official xbmc remote)

All I can think of atm. Great app again. Love it. These options would defenatly make this the best showtime remote by far.

Cheers on this great 0.3 release!

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Leonid Protasov almost 6 years ago

Thanks! Tried 0.3 on my Samsung Galaxy Note II - works like a magic. Keep it up!

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Fábio Ferreira almost 6 years ago

Is this the expected result (the magenta status bar)?

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Leonid Protasov almost 6 years ago

Fábio Ferreira wrote:

Is this the expected result (the pink status bar)?

Looks like a bug as on my Android 4.1.2 it's ok. What is your device?

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Fábio Ferreira almost 6 years ago

It has Android 5.0.1 installed.
The problem is that the support library won't paint the status bar in devices earliear than 5.0.
The reason for your app painting magenta is that you have in styles.xml the line

<color name="colorPrimaryDark">#FFFF00FF</color>

colorPrimaryDark is responsible for painting the status bar in Android 5.0+.
And note that #FFFF00FF is the magenta shown in the image.
Maybe it is better to paint the same as colorPrimary or something a little darker...

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Johny Mahoney almost 6 years ago

Thank you very much Claes.
Is there a way to intergrate a Keyboard ?

Hi all!

Thanks for all the response lately, it really encourages me to keep working on this and improving it :)

Fabió: I will definetly change color, I've mostly tested this on my phone which is running Android 4.x.x and I wanted to know if colorPrimaryDark had any affect at all on anything if running < Android 5.x.x.

sb_p: As mentioned above I have mostly tested this on my phone (5"), from now on I will try to make more tests on larger screens (and also smaller). Thanks for all the suggestions :) Number 1 is probably the next thing i'm gonna look into :) A few questions about your suggestions. 2) Do you wanna browse through your content on the phone instead of on the TV? 4) Do you mean to search in the searchbar in Showtime? 5) Profiles, i.e. one for Bedroom and one for Living Room? Great suggestion!

Johny: In the HTTP API it is possible to do a search, I haven't tried it out but I guess that corresponds to do a search in the top searchbar in Showtime. That would be fairly easy to integrate. Would be neat to be able to use it in the youtube app for example. Probably need to talk to Andreas Öman for the app part.

The plans for the next release will be to make sure that it looks good on larger and smaller screens (also different resolutions). It will also include toggle buttons, i.e. some buttons will change their icon when pressed (play/pause, mute/unmute). I will also try to update the github page to include a list of future features.

Please keep testing it and report whatever you find, good or bad :)

Thanks again for all the response and encouragement :)

sb_p: As mentioned above I have mostly tested this on my phone (5"), from now on I will try to make more tests on larger screens (and also smaller). Thanks for all the suggestions :) Number 1 is probably the next thing i'm gonna look into :) A few questions about your suggestions. 2) Do you wanna browse through your content on the phone instead of on the TV? 4) Do you mean to search in the searchbar in Showtime? 5) Profiles, i.e. one for Bedroom and one for Living Room? Great suggestion!

Hey Claes,

2) yes, I would like to browse content on phone/tablet like music/videos and have it start play directly to showtime (great for music when not near the ps3 or htpc)

4) yes a search bar on phone/tab app that will transfer to showtime search bar and find content on showtime ( displayed on both showtime tv & phone/tab screen would be sweet, maybe optional displays if you can make such an option.)

5) again you got it. For exactly that purpose. I use showtime for multiple rooms so multiple profiles to log into the correct I. P. Instance. Ie: living room, bedroom, Sunroom, garage, etc... would be sweet.

I realize some of my requests my be a bit advanced but would be awesome and hopefully Andreas can & will help you if you are willing to put in the work as well. Maybe you guys can make this an open source official showtime remote app and work together to make it feature rich. :)

Great work!
Sbp

Hi everyone!

New release (v0.0.4), try it out :) https://github.com/claha/showtimeremote/releases

A short summary of the features.

• Searchbar in the topbar at the navigation page, uses the searchbar in Showtime.
  • All icons used for the buttons are now bigger. Maybe even bigger is needed for 7"+ screens??
  • Play/Pause button toggles icon on press (same goes for mute button).
  • Long click on Menu will show you the ItemMenu.
  • Press and hold navigation buttons (up, down, left, right) for faster navigation.
  • Setting: Profiles, add a new profile with your current network settings. Useful if you are running Showtime on more than one device.
  • Setting: Choose which page you want to show at startup, i.e. (Home, Navigation, Media, Settings or About).
  • Setting: Choose to get a notification when there is a new release/commit to GitHub.
  • Custom launcher icon!!!! Please tell me what you think, this is the first icon I have ever made. Used svg, really liked it since I don't know how to draw but I know math and xml :) The source code for the launcher is under icons at github.

So please try it out, tell me what you think and report any problems you may find :)

If you have any ideas for future features please let me know :)

1 2 3 (1-25/67)