Movian Remote (Android)

Added by Claes Hallström over 6 years ago

Hi!

Just discovered this project a few weeks ago. Since then I have used it on my raspberry pi every day and i love it. Even though i can I use my tv-remote without any problem I really didn't have any ongoing android project so I thought iI would give it a go :)

I just did my first release (https://github.com/claha/showtimeremote, first time using github as well). Right now it is very basic but you can send all available commands and set ip address and port number. The user interface consist of only when button but when pressed you are offered a list of all the actions. I did this in the first release because I don't really know what all the actions do in the different states, i.e. when browsing my nas or playing a video. So figuring this out will be my next step.

Under "release" on github you can download an apk or download the source code and build it yourself :)

Please let me know what you think of it, I am open for suggestions when it comes to the actual design later on.

Replies (67)

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Claes Hallström about 6 years ago

Johny Mahoney wrote:

Does this App work on Android 5.0 (Lollipopp) too ?

Yes, It even looks a little better in my opinion :)

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Bob Smith about 6 years ago

When I try to install Showtime Remote on my kindle, I get an error that "There is a problem parsing the package". Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Bob Smith wrote:

When I try to install Showtime Remote on my kindle, I get an error that "There is a problem parsing the package". Any idea what I am doing wrong?

On version 0.0.5 some people hade that issue, the problem there was that only Android 4.1 and up was supported. In version 0.0.6 Android 3.0 and up is supported. If you have running atleast Android 3.0 make sure that your are allowing to install from "Unkown sources", that is not enabled by default. On my phone that is located under Settings/Security. I've started to look into how to release this on Google Play, hopefully I will have the time to do that this month.

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Bob Smith about 6 years ago

Claes Hallström wrote:

Bob Smith wrote:

On version 0.0.5 some people hade that issue, the problem there was that only Android 4.1 and up was supported. In version 0.0.6 Android 3.0 and up is supported. If you have running atleast Android 3.0 make sure that your are allowing to install from "Unkown sources", that is not enabled by default. On my phone that is located under Settings/Security. I've started to look into how to release this on Google Play, hopefully I will have the time to do that this month.

Thanks. I did not have any problem installing version 0.0.6.

Just published the app on Google Play :) Could take a few hours before its available...

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Leonid Protasov about 6 years ago

Tested 0.6 a bit. Found the issue:
If you are on the media page and will rotate the device from album to landscape or vice versa - the app always opens navigation page after rotation.

v1.0 is not available from google market. Don't know why it won't autoupdate.

And the last - can you make those git commit popups be clickable so browser redirects you to your github page.

Leonid Protasov wrote:

Tested 0.6 a bit. Found the issue:
If you are on the media page and will rotate the device from album to landscape or vice versa - the app always opens navigation page after rotation.

v1.0 is not available from google market. Don't know why it won't autoupdate.

And the last - can you make those git commit popups be clickable so browser redirects you to your github page.

Thanks for the feedback. The rotation bug is fixed in versino 1.0.0. You probably have to uninstall and download the app from Google Play. The one that you can download from GitHub is not signed so Google Play probably doesn't see it as an installed app. I removed the GitHub notificatinos in the Google Play release, since Google Play tells you when you can update the app. I see that you are watching my repo on GitHub now :) So I think you'll get emails when i commit/release?

Thanks. Removed and reinstalled. 1.0.0 now. Some issues:
It should be named as Movian Remote as Showtime is renamed.

Needs ability to rename profile.
Need utf8 support in search bar. I know you fixed it ;)

One more feature request:
1. Move playback status info button to Nav tab
2. Add sysinfo button to Nav tab

Leonid Protasov wrote:

Thanks. Removed and reinstalled. 1.0.0 now. Some issues:
It should be named as Movian Remote as Showtime is renamed.

Needs ability to rename profile.
Need utf8 support in search bar. I know you fixed it ;)

Leonid Protasov wrote:

One more feature request:
1. Move playback status info button to Nav tab
2. Add sysinfo button to Nav tab

I'm working on an update of the profile system, the problem is that I have to make my own custom preference which is a bit trickier than using standard ones.
Guess you are like me then, I rarely use the media tab :P I'll fix something for the buttons :) Hopefully I can make a new release this week with the updates and with everything renamed to Movian.

Thanks you added long presses to buttons ;)

RE: Showtime Remote (Android) - Added by Ezio PS about 6 years ago

Just downloaded :) I'm very curious to test it :P

The graphics layout is perfectly matched to Lollipop, nice! :D

RE: Movian Remote (Android) - Added by Claes Hallström over 3 years ago

I just wanted to update everyone that this remote had a major update in the past month, so if you haven't tried it you should check it out. The user interface is completely new and closer matches the user interface of Movian. The other new thing is a built in share feature, so if you start the YouTube app on your phone and select share on a video you can share it directly to Movian (needs YouTube plugin installed on Movian). This also work with other video-streaming apps but I haven't tested them all.

Feedback is always appreciated!

RE: Movian Remote (Android) - Added by STLcardsWS :) over 3 years ago

Great to seen an update, I made a news article about the release.
Nice work thanks for the update:

http://www.psx-place.com/threads/movian-remote-android-new-ui-share-feature-in-new-update-by-claha.14884/

RE: Movian Remote (Android) - Added by Claes Hallström over 3 years ago

Thank you for the article STLcardsWS :)

1 2 3 (51-67/67)