Is movian dying?

Added by Soul Finger over 3 years ago

I really don't understand but i think movian is dying.. or finishing! Cause there's lot of Unanswered questions in forums and No one is interested.

Many users and also i, asked so many questions. But we can not find any answers or experts here.

We ask that you show a little more interest. Thank you form now!

Replies (9)

RE: Is movian dying? - Added by Gabe Smith over 3 years ago

I don't think is dying, but there is only one developer.

RE: Is movian dying? - Added by Andreas Smas over 3 years ago

Correct, and the amount of time I can devote to Movian varies quite a lot and have recently been quite low (for the last six months).

Also the issue log have accumulated to almost 400 open issues now. I don't even know where to start. Perhaps it would be best to close all issues and start over.

RE: Is movian dying? - Added by sab king over 3 years ago

maybe u can start with me? i know u dont even get paid for this so i really appreciate ur work.
so can u fix the online tv, its been off for many months now. its the best app. im using a ps3 older interface

RE: Is movian dying? - Added by Gregor Hoffleit over 3 years ago

Well, I encountered Movian a few months ago and it was a magical moment!

I struggled with Kodi/OpenElec/LibreElec as media center frontend on my Raspberry 2 for months. It often felt like making three steps forward and falling two steps back soon afterwards. Performance was always on the edge. Starting playback took ages.

And then came Movian.

Almost everything worked out of the box. With a speed that made my attempts with Kodi looking like a bad joke. Boot time was fast. Navigation was a breeze (who needs cover art?). Almost no lag when starting videos. I had never thought that a Raspberry 2 could feel so fast.

I tried Movian, more as a joke, with my old Raspberry 1. And I realized that it worked blazingly fast as well. Both Raspis are now in regular duty as cheap media center appliances.

And then, after a few weeks, I noticed how easy it is to write plugins for Movian. It's ridiculously simple to feed almost everything into Movian. The concept of the internal URLs is simple but amazingly effective.

My current pet project is a plugin for Emby. It already works well enough for day to day use, tough it's unfinished on all ends (authentication is hard coded, support for more media types). I also started to update the Mediatheken plugin, so that it works again for ARD, ZDF and NDR. And I have the impression the Movian is really open for further enhancements, even through plugins.

Andreas, many thanks for this magnificient project!

I'd like to offer my help where possible. I already noticed that my skills lack when it comes to the Movian core (see my bug report in https://movian.tv/issues/3235), but I guess there's other useful work as well.

• Regarding the issue tracker: Before dumping everything, would it make sense to mass-reassign the bugs to the reporters, asking them to re-evaluate them with a current Movian? If there's no reaction, I would close them.
  • The current API documentation in the Wiki (JSAPIREF) is really short, but useful, but - IIRC - is still about APIv1. Andreas wrote that one should use the Youtube plugin as a reference for APIv2. As far as I understand, APIv2 is the future now. Maybe you could, with a few edits, make it clear that the JSAPI documentation is outdated? I might try to start converting the JSAPIREF to JSAPIv2, if that is reasonable (still, Andreas would have to look over it).
  • My pet question for now, during plugin development, is another documentation thing, about the semantics of metadata et al.

E.g.: Regarding the semantics of icon, backdrops etc. The new list view in 5.0.465 shows the "icon" in the list on the left, and the "icon" (small) and "backdrops" (larger) in the detail view on the right. The list view definitely prefers a landscape type image. The "backdrops" in the detail view definitely should be landscape. The smaller image in the detail view, though, could be a portrait type poster image.

But since both views use metadata.icon, I have either a very small portrait icon in the left column or a landscape icon in the detail view (which often resembles the backdrop).

Andreas, what I really want to say: Would you mind to elaborate on the semantics behind the new views? I guess there's a plan behind it, but it's not always visible for us mere mortals :-) Andreas, would you mind me asking some specific questions regarding these questions?

I'm really looking forward to the further development of Movian. I really was amazed when I updated to 5.0.465 and found about the new list views - that's a cool look and very promising.

RE: Is movian dying? - Added by Rural Hunter over 3 years ago

I think Movian currently is quite a complex software. It is a bit hard to read the code. If there were more docs for developers, it would be a great help for others who want to improve Movian.

RE: Is movian dying? - Added by Andreas Smas about 3 years ago

Gregor Hoffleit wrote:

Well, I encountered Movian a few months ago and it was a magical moment!

I struggled with Kodi/OpenElec/LibreElec as media center frontend on my Raspberry 2 for months. It often felt like making three steps forward and falling two steps back soon afterwards. Performance was always on the edge. Starting playback took ages.

And then came Movian.

Almost everything worked out of the box. With a speed that made my attempts with Kodi looking like a bad joke. Boot time was fast. Navigation was a breeze (who needs cover art?). Almost no lag when starting videos. I had never thought that a Raspberry 2 could feel so fast.

I tried Movian, more as a joke, with my old Raspberry 1. And I realized that it worked blazingly fast as well. Both Raspis are now in regular duty as cheap media center appliances.

And then, after a few weeks, I noticed how easy it is to write plugins for Movian. It's ridiculously simple to feed almost everything into Movian. The concept of the internal URLs is simple but amazingly effective.

My current pet project is a plugin for Emby. It already works well enough for day to day use, tough it's unfinished on all ends (authentication is hard coded, support for more media types). I also started to update the Mediatheken plugin, so that it works again for ARD, ZDF and NDR. And I have the impression the Movian is really open for further enhancements, even through plugins.

Andreas, many thanks for this magnificient project!

Wow thanks a lot for the praise. It makes me a lot more motivated to fix the things you're mentioning!

I'd like to offer my help where possible. I already noticed that my skills lack when it comes to the Movian core (see my bug report in https://movian.tv/issues/3235), but I guess there's other useful work as well.

• Regarding the issue tracker: Before dumping everything, would it make sense to mass-reassign the bugs to the reporters, asking them to re-evaluate them with a current Movian? If there's no reaction, I would close them.
  • The current API documentation in the Wiki (JSAPIREF) is really short, but useful, but - IIRC - is still about APIv1. Andreas wrote that one should use the Youtube plugin as a reference for APIv2. As far as I understand, APIv2 is the future now. Maybe you could, with a few edits, make it clear that the JSAPI documentation is outdated? I might try to start converting the JSAPIREF to JSAPIv2, if that is reasonable (still, Andreas would have to look over it).
  • My pet question for now, during plugin development, is another documentation thing, about the semantics of metadata et al.

E.g.: Regarding the semantics of icon, backdrops etc. The new list view in 5.0.465 shows the "icon" in the list on the left, and the "icon" (small) and "backdrops" (larger) in the detail view on the right. The list view definitely prefers a landscape type image. The "backdrops" in the detail view definitely should be landscape. The smaller image in the detail view, though, could be a portrait type poster image.

But since both views use metadata.icon, I have either a very small portrait icon in the left column or a landscape icon in the detail view (which often resembles the backdrop).

Andreas, what I really want to say: Would you mind to elaborate on the semantics behind the new views? I guess there's a plan behind it, but it's not always visible for us mere mortals :-) Andreas, would you mind me asking some specific questions regarding these questions?

It's not very well thought out TBH. In the best of world I think the metadata backend should just give the UI a list of images and their respective aspect ratios and then the UI can figure out what fits best.

This gets a bit trickier if the aspect isn't known of course.

I'm really looking forward to the further development of Movian. I really was amazed when I updated to 5.0.465 and found about the new list views - that's a cool look and very promising.

Best way to communicate is to join the telegram channel: https://telegram.me/joinchat/DgTsNwfpZgH13cHdUY1blQ

RE: Is movian dying? - Added by stewart dienel about 3 years ago

I have to agree with Gregor Hoffleit the interface is well thought out very nice and simple i use this program for a while now (around 6 months) and find it much easier than the popular Kodi.

Things i think could do with improvement
-Plugins very few plugins for english when there are plugins for english content they are blank so the sources need to be changed manually-Probably down to the developer of that plugin.
-When i enabled meta in EZTV api movian crashes altogether -fixed by disabling meta
-The keyboard -i can type into the box with my usb keyboard when highlighted but when i actually click into the keyboard my keyboard keys dont seem to register.
Thats my issues all have workarounds but would make it more satisfying to use straight out of the box without the issues

Looks like you need more plugin developers (maybe reach out with youtube) some great coders in kodi when it comes to plugins ie -how good would it be to have the likes of Exodus, Zen or others on board <people would move away from kodi im sure
I understand your team is very small or even i think i read somewhere you are working by yourself so i thank you for your hard work for getting this far with a great program and hope to see more content and features added :)

RE: Is movian dying? - Added by Dado Remix about 3 years ago

im also new here
use kodi almost from 12.x version.. but movian is so better, use some time on desktop pc with google chrome, but now i have rpi3

i have some question.. when movian read files.. sometimes get wrong metdata.. example.. The Flash series.. he read that i have the flash /some rock-music series/

also.. hot to make multiboot on the same micro card..
i use NOOBS_lite_v2_4
I have 16GB micro sd card.. i on it.. libreelec kodi, debian linux, retrogame emulations, and want movian to set up...

but how ?

RE: Is movian dying? - Added by Harald Øverås over 2 years ago

@Gregor Hoffleit My current pet project is a plugin for Emby.>

It has been nice if we could have a movian plugin for Emby. Do you mind sharing the plugin?

(1-9/9)