How to install Movian OS in BerryBoot ?

Added by Dmitriy S over 5 years ago

Hi, is it possible to use Movian OS in BerryBoot?

Replies (2)

RE: How to install Movian OS in BerryBoot ? - Added by Anonymous over 5 years ago

I haven't tried this method yet but I think it's possible>
====Adding Distributions to the BerryBoot System Manually====

In order to import a Linux distribution into BerryBoot, you first need to optimize that distribution for SquashFS. The first step in the process is to acquire an image of that distribution. You can go about this one of three ways.

First, the easiest way to do this is to grab optimized images from the BerryBoot repository that haven’t been officially added to the installer yet; you can do so here. You can use these images as they are, no SquashFS optimization necessary.

Second, in the case of Raspberry Pi optimized images that are available for general download but not in/optimize for BerryBoot yet, you can simply grab that image.

Finally, in the case of distributions such as Raspbmc that require you use an installer tool to download everything directly to the Pi and go from there, you’ll need to create an image of the SD card you installed it to.

In addition to the .IMG file (either downloaded or created), you will also need access to a Linux machine (be that Linux machine a dedicated Linux desktop, a computer with a Linux Live CD, or even the copy of Rasbian on your Raspberry Pi), in order to use the SquashFS tool. There simply hasn’t been a reliable port yet, so we’re going to keep things stable and simple by using SquashFS on it’s native platform.

If your distribution doesn’t have SquashFS installed already (Raspbian doesn’t ship with it by default), enter the following command at the terminal to grab a copy:

sudo apt-get install squashfs-tools

To convert the the .IMG, plug an SD card or USB device containing the file into your Linux machine. We’re going to refer to the image file as NewBerryBoot.img in the commands. Open up the terminal and run the following command on the .IMG:

sudo kpartx -av NewBerryBoot.img

The kpartx command creates device maps from partition tables and, with the –av switch, it will add the mappings and operate verbosely so we can read the output. The output should look something like this:

add map loop0p1 (252:5): 0 117187 linear /dev/loop0 1
add map loop0p2 (252:6): 0 3493888 linear /dev/loop0 118784

The second and larger partition, loop0p2, is the one we’re interested in. In your image, the loop might be different (i.e. loop3p2), so make note of the name for the next commands. Enter the following commands:

sudo mount /dev/mapper/loop0p2 /mnt
sudo sed -i ‘s/^\/dev\/mmcblk/#\0/g’ /mnt/etc/fstab
sudo mksquashfs /mnt converted_image_for_berryboot.img -comp lzo -e lib/modules
sudo umount /mnt
sudo kpartx -d NewBerryBoot.img

This series of commands mounts the partition, edits out the file systems table in the original partition, optimizes the image with SquashFS (leaving out the lib/modules which are shared among the distributions in BerryBoot), and then unmounts and deletes the partition mappings.

After all this command line magic, we can now go back to the comfort of the BerryBoot GUI. Whether you downloaded an already optimized .IMG or you created your own, it’s time to take that .IMG and add it to BerryBoot.

Plug the external media that holds the .IMG file (such as the SD card in an SD card reader) into your Raspberry Pi unit or attached USB hub. Boot into your Raspberry Pi with the original BerryBoot SD card. At the boot selection menu, press the Edit menu button to pull up the BerryBoot menu editor.

To add your .IMG file, simply click and hold the Add OS button.

Select Copy OS from USB stick, and you’ll then be presented with a file selection dialog box.

When creating an image for BerryBoot you can append .IMG extension with 128/192/224/240 to indicate to BerryBoot how you want the memory allocated for that distribution. If you don’t do it this way, don’t worry; you can always set it in the Edit section of the BerryBoot menu editor.

After you have selected your .IMG file and hit Open, sit back for a moment as the .IMG is unpacked and installed. Afterwards, you’ll see the BerryBoot menu editor with a new addition.

Converting an image to SquashFS breaks the upgrade system (rumor). With that in mind, feel free to experiment.

RE: How to install Movian OS in BerryBoot ? - Added by Dmitry Petrov almost 5 years ago

mr 9 wrote:

I haven't tried this method yet but I think it's possible>
====Adding Distributions to the BerryBoot System Manually====

It is not working with Movian...

Berryboot requires to work only with one squashfs and that squashfs must be able to work with the kernel and modules shipped with Berryboot.

Notes from Berryboot:
Adding your own custom operating systems to the menu
(http://www.berryterminal.com/doku.php/berryboot/adding_custom_distributions)

"We are excluding /lib/modules from the image, because the kernel modules shipped with Berryboot are used instead, and shared with all distributions."

The image of Movian looks like BerryBoot with several squashfs images in the root of one FAT partition. When it starts - it attaches those squashfs and after that it manipulates with partitions on the MicroSD itself.
I would say it is easier for Movian to boot other OS than BerryBoot to boot Movian. :)

(1-2/2)