How does Movian work?

Added by Harry Lime about 6 years ago

Hi folks,

I just installed Movian (STOS 2.1) on my Raspi hoping to finally get a lightweight alternative to XBMC/Kodi. The feature list on the Wiki suggests Movian offers almost all the features of XBMC/Kodi including browsing local media and watching live TV through TVHeadend.

However when I booted my Pi after copying the image on the SD card there were only three icons showing up on the screen (Plugins, Local Network and Settings).

So how do I browse local media (I have a USB hard disk attached to the Pi via USB) and add them to a media library?
And how do I watch TV, schedule recordings etc.?

I noticed you have already spent some years of development. So I wonder what your plans for the future are. The current release to me seems far from being usable as a media center.

Kind regards,
Harry

Replies (15)

RE: How does Movian work? - Added by Leonid Protasov about 6 years ago

Harry Lime wrote:

Hi folks,

I just installed Movian (STOS 2.1) on my Raspi hoping to finally get a lightweight alternative to XBMC/Kodi. The feature list on the Wiki suggests Movian offers almost all the features of XBMC/Kodi including browsing local media and watching live TV through TVHeadend.

However when I booted my Pi after copying the image on the SD card there were only three icons showing up on the screen (Plugins, Local Network and Settings).

So how do I browse local media (I have a USB hard disk attached to the Pi via USB) and add them to a media library?

I noticed you have already spent some years of development. So I wonder what your plans for the future are. The current release to me seems far from being usable as a media center.

Kind regards,
Harry

Alas currently Movian has no automount feature on RPi. This feature is planned for 4.10 but could be delayed to 5.0. Now active development is going to implement new UI...

RE: How does Movian work? - Added by Andreas Smas about 6 years ago

Harry Lime wrote:

Hi folks,

As mentioned by Lenoid, STOS does not yet support automount of local media, see issue #2185

To connect to Tvheadend, type htsp://a.b.c.d in the search-bar (where a.b.c.d is the IP-address of the server running tvheadend), then you can bookmark the page to make it appear on home screen.

If you're running tvheadend with avahi enabled (you probably do since it's the default) tvheadend will appear under the "Local Network" icon.

I noticed you have already spent some years of development. So I wonder what your plans for the future are.

Primarily I'm focusing on a redesign of the UI to make it more intuitive.

The current release to me seems far from being usable as a media center.

Well, me and thousands of others user it on a regular basis so I guess I must have done something right.

Kind regards,
Harry

RE: How does Movian work? - Added by Harry Lime about 6 years ago

Hi Leonid & Andreas,

Thank you for your prompt answers.

As for mounting, I noticed the post saying this would be implemented as of version 4.10. As I am running version 4.9 I thought mounting was on board (I assumed v4.9 > 4.1).

As for TVHeadend I tried "htsp://127.0.0.1" but got the message that the source is not available. Apparently TVHeadend does not come with STOS, does it? Is it possible to install it manually on the same Raspi Movian is running on?

I did not mean to offend anybody. It seems I simply expected Movian for Raspi to be more similar to XBMC.

Kind regards,
Harry

Harry Lime wrote:

Hi Leonid & Andreas,

Thank you for your prompt answers.

As for mounting, I noticed the post saying this would be implemented as of version 4.10. As I am running version 4.9 I thought mounting was on board (I assumed v4.9 > 4.1).

Actually 9 < 10 in Movian's versioning scheme.

As for TVHeadend I tried "htsp://127.0.0.1" but got the message that the source is not available. Apparently TVHeadend does not come with STOS, does it? Is it possible to install it manually on the same Raspi Movian is running on?

No, not as it is right now.

I did not mean to offend anybody. It seems I simply expected Movian for Raspi to be more similar to XBMC.

No worries :-)

RE: How does Movian work? - Added by Anonymous about 6 years ago

I use Movian (Showtime) to watch what is stored on my NAS. I like the simple menu, in fact I made it a list mode without the icons, and disabled what I don't want to show.
I prefer it this way to be honest, if there will be an option to store video files easily on other media attached to the Pi then great! But please don't change the interface to something as horrid as XBMC.

Adding support for USB attached media is top of my prio list right now and will probably ship this week.

Andreas,
I love how driven you are to this project!

Well, I try my best with the limited time I have :-)

Some goods news in #2185 -- Not completed yet but will hopefully be tomorrow.

Ok, first stab of USB drive support on RPI is in, just upgrade to 4.9.406 (Currently only available on bleeding edge)

Working great for me, just tested with a USB stick(FAT32 Formatted) and added it to my Home Screen Menu for List Mode.
Very cool!
OP needs to try this out for USB Hardisk, as I don't have a spare lying around right now.

You can rename the devices from "USB Drive" to something more fitting under Settings (you'll find each of the discovered drives there).

Movian will remember the name based on the partitions UUID so it's easy to distinguish if you have multiple drives.

If the partition comes with a label when it was formatted it will default to that name instead of "USB Drive"

Andreas Öman wrote:

You can rename the devices from "USB Drive" to something more fitting under Settings (you'll find each of the discovered drives there).

Movian will remember the name based on the partitions UUID so it's easy to distinguish if you have multiple drives.

If the partition comes with a label when it was formatted it will default to that name instead of "USB Drive"

Is it possible to access the USB device through the network to add files from another computer?

Yes, if you enable FTP in network->settings they will appear in the FTP server root directory.

Another option is to enable SSH and use SCP, etc to copy files (they media is mounted at /stos/media)

RE: How does Movian work? - Added by Harry Lime about 6 years ago

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for adding USB support so quickly. I will definitely try that.

Harry

(1-15/15)