Please describe all propref types of STPP server

Added by Wain . almost 6 years ago

Hello! I'm currently developing an Android remote app for Showtime, and I want to use STPP server to control some properties.
Its docs is rather obscure, so I ran into some problems, would you mind helping me?
First of all, docs say 0 propref is for 'global' property. What are the others then? I see from the sources that there are properties such as 'nav', 'page', 'node'.
It would be awesome if someone could described which numbers should I use to access them.
Thanks in advance!

Replies (8)

RE: Please describe all propref types of STPP server - Added by Andreas Smas almost 6 years ago

I'm not even sure there are any docs for it ? :-)

I'll try to write something up

RE: Please describe all propref types of STPP server - Added by Wain . almost 6 years ago

Andreas Öman wrote:

There are none =) I was able to recover and use some functions from the source code on Github (such as volume level and some current page properties (URL, title, etc)), but obviously much more can be done. It only takes to guess how to access them.
To specify things, I'd like to get list of item on the current page while scrolling, and media info while watching/listening.

RE: Please describe all propref types of STPP server - Added by Andreas Smas almost 6 years ago

Wain . wrote:

Andreas Öman wrote:

There are none =) I was able to recover and use some functions from the source code on Github (such as volume level and some current page properties (URL, title, etc)), but obviously much more can be done. It only takes to guess how to access them.
To specify things, I'd like to get list of item on the current page while scrolling, and media info while watching/listening.

Btw, did you read the STPP wiki article? That should explain most of the communications, etc.

A part from the fact that the property trees are not well documented is there something else you need? More examples?

Andreas Öman wrote:

Wain . wrote:

Andreas Öman wrote:

Btw, did you read the STPP wiki article? That should explain most of the communications, etc.

A part from the fact that the property trees are not well documented is there something else you need? More examples?

Also if you try to describe more in detail what you are trying to do and what you need it might be easier to start writing some documentation

RE: Please describe all propref types of STPP server - Added by Wain . almost 6 years ago

Andreas Öman wrote:

Also if you try to describe more in detail what you are trying to do and what you need it might be easier to start writing some documentation

Yes, I read the STPP article, there's some valuable info here, except several things:
1. I was unable to connect to Showtime's websocket server at first. Thankfully, searching this '403' error in the sources I found that Experimental features must be enabled in the dev settings. Not very obvious thing, definitely should be added to the docs.
2. No list/tree of properties we can watch/set. This is really the most confusing thing. When using HTTP commands, there is at least a full set of them in one place in the code.

Other than that, STPP seems to work fine. The main thing I want to achieve is getting feedback for all commands, e.g getting/setting the exact dB volume level instead of just making it higher/lower. Moreover, I want to get list of page content to search and select it directly on the remote.

RE: Please describe all propref types of STPP server - Added by Andreas Smas over 5 years ago

Wain . wrote:

Andreas Öman wrote:

Yes, I read the STPP article, there's some valuable info here, except several things:
1. I was unable to connect to Showtime's websocket server at first. Thankfully, searching this '403' error in the sources I found that Experimental features must be enabled in the dev settings. Not very obvious thing, definitely should be added to the docs.

Yes, that totally makes sense. I will add it to the article.

2. No list/tree of properties we can watch/set. This is really the most confusing thing. When using HTTP commands, there is at least a full set of them in one place in the code.

Yes, the "problem" is that there is no place in the code where all the properties are defined. So it must rather be documented somewhere.

Other than that, STPP seems to work fine. The main thing I want to achieve is getting feedback for all commands, e.g getting/setting the exact dB volume level instead of just making it higher/lower. Moreover, I want to get list of page content to search and select it directly on the remote.

To get feedback you will have to subscribe to the values.

Also there is currently no way to sending events over STPP so you can't tell it to open new URLs or just "increase/decrease" volume etc, (just set the volume directly). The idea is of course that this should be possible using STPP but at the moment a workaround is to post these using the HTTP API.

RE: Please describe all propref types of STPP server - Added by Andreas Smas over 5 years ago

Also starting with version 4.7.552 it's possible to browse the property tree from a web browser.

Just visit http://127.0.0.1:42000/showtime/prop/global

There is still no documentation though. I will work on that

RE: Please describe all propref types of STPP server - Added by Wain . over 5 years ago

Browsing property tree has been extremely helpful, the development now moves much faster! I'm okay to set properties using HTTP for now.

(1-8/8)