Local Network Playback not decting MKV or any Vids that the original ps3 player cant read!!!

Added by steve CLM over 7 years ago

Alright I only play my vids and music via Local network ps3 player or showtime, mostly showtime because its faster and just better,
THE thing is showtime cant read what ever the original ps3 player doesn't support when i try on local net, but it reads what ever when its on usb or an hdd, external or internal,

Is there a way that i can read mkv for example on local net???

ideas!

Replies (17)

RE: Local Network Playback not decting MKV or any Vids that the original ps3 player cant read!!! - Added by Maximiliano Hamid over 7 years ago

I'm having the same issue!

Any idea about how to solve this?

Thanks!!!

RE: Local Network Playback not decting MKV or any Vids that the original ps3 player cant read!!! - Added by steve CLM over 7 years ago

actually i already checked my NAS, and i already thought of the same thing, tried a couple of tricks to allow showtime or the ps3 system to see all files but no luck,,, and i already tried it with Showtime 4.1 AND 4.2 AND FINALLY 4.3.9
SAME PROBLEM with all of theme,

i highly thinks its something to do with pc or router settings, i believe showtime needs some kind of a plug in or something for local network,

any way tx!

RE: Local Network Playback not decting MKV or any Vids that the original ps3 player cant read!!! - Added by Aben Escalante over 7 years ago

I can try to help you out, I would like to know what router are you using, and if you connect to the PS3 using WIFI or Wired, if you guys are using a NAS or computer to share the media files?

How are you trying to play Video files, using the DLNA of showtime or did you created the bookmark to access the NAS via SMB.

I think that I know what issue is.

RE: Local Network Playback not decting MKV or any Vids that the original ps3 player cant read!!! - Added by Maximiliano Hamid over 7 years ago

thanks!

i have a cisco linksys ea3500 and a linksys nas200. the nas is wired to the router and the ps3 is connected over wifi. im using wpa/wpa2 personal.

i just open showtime, select local network and get into de nas media server.

i have a lot of movies and can play most of then. but some simply just do not appear and they are all in the same folder and the folder is shared in the media server preferences.

thanks again!

RE: Local Network Playback not decting MKV or any Vids that the original ps3 player cant read!!! - Added by Aben Escalante over 7 years ago

Ok, I knew you had a NAS200, the problem is not you NAS is the twonky Media server in it that is really outdated, and there is a known issue with the twonky media server of the NAS200 not being able to serve certain Video files, the issue is solve by installing the lattest twonky media server to the Nas, I worked with Many NAS200 and I hate linksys for not updating the firmware of the Nas200 at least to keep the media server updated!!!

solutions:

1)Update to the latest linksys firmware of the NAS200 and see if that resolves the issue which I doubt because linksys has not release a Firmware update since 2009

2)You can update to the latest Twonky Media Server by following this instructions:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/announce-twonky-media-server-6-0-28-on-jac4.33507/

3) This is what I would do and is the easy way around to your problem:

Access your video files via Samba instead of Using DLNA.

Go to Settings -> Bookmars
Create a new bookmark
In the URL bar type in: smb://ip.address.to.server/SHARENAME

Go back to the home menu and browse.

Oh!! you are the man!! :D

I have the latest version of this NAS so the update is not needed.I know it sucks, but it was a gift, cannot complain. ha!
Before updating the Twonky Server I decided to try adding the NAS Using the SMB:// and guess what
Now i can see everything!

So my issue is solved. Really thanks a lot man! You saved me!
Thanks!!
Regards from Argentina! :)

Great!!!
Let andreas know so he can close the issue ticket.

By the way if you are going to watch HD videos using showtime in the PS3 I would recommend you to run a cable to the PS3. HD streaming is to much for the wireless G adapter of the PS3.

RE: Local Network Playback not decting MKV or any Vids that the original ps3 player cant read!!! - Added by steve CLM over 7 years ago

i only tried it with Netgear ReadyNAS Duo v2 to see if my router couldn't stream mkv vids to to my ps3 wia WiFi, always WiFi, signal always 100%,
what im using is TP link TD W8950ND router!
can it be fixed without a NAS, or do i have to get a NAS to be able to get showtime to see everything! because the router streams AVI, MP4 1080p no problem, no lag at all just cant cant see MKV, 3GP,,,,,
tx for any help

I don't understand... try to explain more like maximiliano did.

How are you trying to play Video files, using the DLNA of showtime or did you created the bookmark to access the NAS via SMB.

Very simple simple guide of what im doing,
i have a laptop with win8, created a homegroupe and allowed my other PC and PS3 full access (Read, Wright)
i CAN see the local network on my PS3, and when i go to showtime local network, i still see all folders but not all files (MKV, 3GP, FLV,,,,,i cant see this vids), I can only see and read (AVI, MP4)Vids ,
No NAS, just using my router wpa2 enabled,
the only thing i have done is created a houpegroupe network thats all bro! i just go to showtime and select Local network, and i can see all files i shared from my lap top already,
Laptop and PS3 are both connected VIA WIFI WPA2 to my Descktop.

1) To access video by DLNA (I personally don't like WMP as a media server)
I've done it with Windows 7 wich is basically the same, in order for you to use showtime as a media player, there has to be a media server program running in you computer, you can use Windows Media Player or look for other media server an install it in your computer, if you use WMP you will also have to install a program that has codecs for other video files like MKV then you will have to do this:

Open Windows Media Player 11
From the toolbar, select Library then Media Sharing
Check "Share my media"
On the PS3 - Under Video, Photos or Music, select "Scan for media server"
Go back to the PC, and you should see a pop up showing an unknown device trying to connect.
Allow the device, and everything should work.

2 The way you have it right now is like if you are accessing via SMB from showtime and there is a difference by accesing via SMB and DLNA.
The best way to accomplish access via SMB is by putting your files in the homegroup folder

1. Make sure public folder sharing is turned ON, in the computer. Follow the steps listed below in the

2. Make sure Network discovery is turned on in the computer. Steps to follow:

i. Open Control Panel window

ii. Select Network and Sharing Center

iii. Select change advanced sharing settings

iv. Under network discovery, select turn On network discovery

3. Disable any third party anti-virus installed on your computer and even the firewall. If the issue resolves after disabling the anti-virus, you might need to check the settings with the anti-virus or uninstall and re install it back.

Aben Escalante wrote:

Great!!!
Let andreas know so he can close the issue ticket.

By the way if you are going to watch HD videos using showtime in the PS3 I would recommend you to run a cable to the PS3. HD streaming is to much for the wireless G adapter of the PS3.

you are 100% right. its too much for a G adapter. ill try to get it wired.

Thanks again for your patience and help!

Aben Escalante wrote:

1) To access video by DLNA (I personally don't like WMP as a media server)
I've done it with Windows 7 wich is basically the same, in order for you to use showtime as a media player, there has to be a media server program running in you computer, you can use Windows Media Player or look for other media server an install it in your computer, if you use WMP you will also have to install a program that has codecs for other video files like MKV then you will have to do this:

Open Windows Media Player 11
From the toolbar, select Library then Media Sharing
Check "Share my media"
On the PS3 - Under Video, Photos or Music, select "Scan for media server"
Go back to the PC, and you should see a pop up showing an unknown device trying to connect.
Allow the device, and everything should work.

2 The way you have it right now is like if you are accessing via SMB from showtime and there is a difference by accesing via SMB and DLNA.
The best way to accomplish access via SMB is by putting your files in the homegroup folder

1. Make sure public folder sharing is turned ON, in the computer. Follow the steps listed below in the

2. Make sure Network discovery is turned on in the computer. Steps to follow:

i. Open Control Panel window

ii. Select Network and Sharing Center

iii. Select change advanced sharing settings

iv. Under network discovery, select turn On network discovery

3. Disable any third party anti-virus installed on your computer and even the firewall. If the issue resolves after disabling the anti-virus, you might need to check the settings with the anti-virus or uninstall and re install it back.

I appreciate your reply bro, and im almost sure you cracked it, i didnt do anything yet but when i saw your post i checked my WMP if its working, and nope the thing is not working at all, tried to open MKV vids, stops working, so reinstalled K-Lite_Codec_Pack_940_Full and still nothing, and the funny thing is its not working with anything else, AVI or MP4 or what ever just stops working after trying to open anything, i've never used it before, i only use VLC to play my VIDS,
Can i use VLC as a server to stream stuff to my PS3? and whats the best Media server to use?

BTW everything you mentioned is checked and i tried with my Firewall on and off before!
TX again bro

If you want to try other Media Server try twonky,or Plex for windows.

If you want to keep trying with WMP.
Your issue is that videos that can be seen and played through Windows Media Server are the videos added to the Windows Media Player videos library. Since MKV, some other video types are not officially supported by windows media player, you will notice that when you add the MKV to the library it will be added in the others media instead of the videos library. That's why you can't see the MKVs in the media server.

Remember that you cannot stream those videos because those are not supported by WMP besides installing K-Lite_Codec_Pack_940_Full you also have to add those videos to the WMP video library by doing this:

Copy/paste the following into Notepad, save it as WMP_MKV.reg , double click this file to add it to the registry, and restart WMP:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mkv]
"PerceivedType"="video"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.mkv]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Permissions"=dword:0000000f
"Runtime"=dword:00000007
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\MLS\Extensions]
"mkv"="video"

After that, MKV files will be added to Video instead of to Other media (it might be necessary to re-add the files).

Alright i think Plex is the answer, because now even the normal PS3 player can read 1080p MKV, or what ever without lag,
so it means Plex is the best media server for me,

Tx for your help.

(1-17/17)