Navi-X for Showtime on PS3

Added by Bill Daly almost 9 years ago

http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/8/4/2932808/nx_boxee2.jpg
http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/8/4/2932808/nx_boxee1.jpg

Hello World,

My name is Bill Daly (a.k.a. iRoNBiLL) and I work with Team Navi-X on a project known as Navi-X or the Navi-X Media Browser. Essentially, our application is a content aggregator for multiple platforms, currently including Boxee, XBMC and WiiMC. We are currently compatible on any platform you can install Boxee or XBMC on to, including Apple TV 2, iPhone 4 and iPads.

What Kind Of Content Can I Find In Navi-X?
Almost anything. Video, audio, pictures, podcasts, text, web pages with content, live streams, XML feeds, site scrapers… it’s almost overwhelming the amount and type of multimedia content that can be found in Navi-X. I will leave our description at that for now… if you want to check out more, go to http://www.navi-x.org for a thorough explanation of what Navi-X is, as well as screenshots and a video demo to check out. You can also find out more about Navi-X via Google and Twitter.

The reason I am here today is to reach out to the Showtime community in search of someone who would be interested in porting over our app to the Showtime media center platform. We are an open-source project and as such, we depend on the contributions of users and developers to help make porting to other platforms happen.

Here is some current usage stats for Navi-X… We currently average about 7 million hits a month, have over 7000 users a day using Navi-X and we serve about 90 GB of just text-playlist data a month. We have approximately 245,000 users who use Navi-X either a little bit or a lot.

With this in mind, you definitely wouldn’t be wasting your time porting something over like this… your work will definitely get seen by people, so we are hoping for someone involved with plugin development to step forward to help with the cause.

Unfortunately, since we don’t make a penny at this time for Navi-X, we cannot pay a developer to do this work… we are soley depending on an open-source developer familiar with this arena. If you feel you could use a spot on a project that is incredibly popular with folks, this is it! Please reach out to me at if any Showtime plugin developers are interested in becoming the “Head Developer for Navi-X on Showtime”… we hope to hear from you soon!

Warm Regards,

Bill Daly
a.k.a. iRoNBiLL
Project Coordinator
Team Navi-X

www.navi-x.org
navix.turner3d.net

Replies (38)

RE: Navi-X for Showtime on PS3 - Added by Ajith Thampi over 8 years ago

Hey guys,

I just installed Navi-X and I am like so much impressed. So impressed I feel bad for not have tried it out earlier. I just started off today, and trying to figure things out.

I was wondering how to add some custom contributed .xml files for my Navi-X in PS3? I was able to get it working for an XBMC install.

All help appreciated.

RE: Navi-X for Showtime on PS3 - Added by Fábio Ferreira over 8 years ago

The plugin does not support reading local files because Showtime doesn't support it due to possible security issues that may appear with it.

RE: Navi-X for Showtime on PS3 - Added by Bill Daly over 8 years ago

If you wanted to contribute links to content on the internet in Navi-X, you can do so by creating a free playlist hosting account at www.navixtreme.com and once you created the account, click on "My Playlists" on the website and start adding today. Check it out!

iRoNBiLL

RE: Navi-X for Showtime on PS3 - Added by Ajith Thampi over 8 years ago

Yup, playlists on Naviextreme.com helped solve my problem. Its so good to have something like this available for the PS3 and Showtime.

RE: Navi-X for Showtime on PS3 - Added by Tyrant Max about 8 years ago

Support Showtime Plugin Navi-X by facanferff by clicking "like" here http://psx-scene.com/forums/content/showtime-plugin-navi-x-2211/ You need to register to "like" it.

Counting on you guys!

RE: Navi-X for Showtime on PS3 - Added by Ajith Thampi about 8 years ago

I have been having a tough time trying to run Live TV from US and UK and etc. It just doesnt play for me. Are these links dead or there is something wrong with my setup? I tried this out on the PS3 and Xbmc to verify.

Was trying to run Fox Fox HD and others. Any working playlist out there to test if things are working?

RE: Navi-X for Showtime on PS3 - Added by Rez Vandi about 8 years ago

Hi, I'd be interested in being a beta tester as well, I love the current 0.3 version and it works good for what it is capable of doing. Please let me know what I should do. Just report bugs as I find them? Or focus on specific bugs?

RE: Navi-X for Showtime on PS3 - Added by Girish Patel about 8 years ago

I've just found this video on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i3uc6ttREg

It shows a custom Showtime with a custom Navi-X plugin. It looks very good!

My question is, I understand that you can create your own playlists. As far as I can see the playlist is a list of URL's linking to files? Navi-x checks the links are true and displays the info etc?

I have all my movies on a NAS drive. I can access my NAS drive anywhere in the world from a URL given by iomega. So in theory all my NAS drive files have url's? If 'yes' could I create a playlist for the files on my NAS drive? And then it will display my movies with covers and info etc?

I've finally got a breakthrough regarding getting video cover art for my files on a NAS drive. The Navi-X plug lets me create a playlist in which I have placed my direct links in and it is working well but not perfect but at least I am getting covers! But the main problem is I have to create the playlist manually. So with around 600 movies it will take a long time. But as an experiment I have got it to work :)

RE: Navi-X for Showtime on PS3 - Added by Bill Daly about 8 years ago

Girish Patel wrote:

I've just found this video on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i3uc6ttREg

It shows a custom Showtime with a custom Navi-X plugin. It looks very good!

My question is, I understand that you can create your own playlists. As far as I can see the playlist is a list of URL's linking to files? Navi-x checks the links are true and displays the info etc?

I have all my movies on a NAS drive. I can access my NAS drive anywhere in the world from a URL given by iomega. So in theory all my NAS drive files have url's? If 'yes' could I create a playlist for the files on my NAS drive? And then it will display my movies with covers and info etc?

Navi-X does not have the ability to automatically populate meta data for movies and content if Showtime does not support it and/or Facanferff has not interfaced Navi-X on Showtime with any settings that Showtime may have available in it's programmable interfaces.

Next time he comes around here, hopefully he can comment on it for you. You might also catch him in the Shoutbox at www.navixtreme.com sometime or you can post in the forums there and he should see it for sure. Thanks.

iRoNBiLL

RE: Navi-X for Showtime on PS3 - Added by Fábio Ferreira about 8 years ago

Sorry for the lack of responses, have been working heavily in Navi-X 0.9.5 and the website API that will complement it.

About that issue, the plugin can't read local files, only store files that are unique to the plugin.

Your possible solution would be writing a script that would study the folder with the movies and automatically create an item for each. I know it would require programming background but in this specific situation may be the only solution. Possibly in future Showtime may populate that meta data automatically but its support for the plugin would require Showtime's source code modification.

I've now managed to gather all my NAS file URLs in one go. I did it by using the 'webbrowse' url e.g. 192.168.0.8/webbrowse . This shows me all my files in my browser. Then all I did was to take the source code and clean it up to leave the URLs. My next step are the thumbnails urls. I've got all those by exporting my movie database from xbmc. I just need to add the links in manually to my playlist. Will take some time but will be definitely worth it.
My last problem is the size of the thumbnails in list view. They are way too small when displayed on the right-hand side. Can the plugin override the default display size? As a nice large poster for the film would look so much better rather than a tiny box.

I've now added my artwork links and I have to say it was worth the time spent manually creating it!
Next is sorting out the default size Showtime displays them.

1 2 (26-38/38)