Plex

Added by Bob Smith over 6 years ago

Has anyone created a xml profile file for using movian with Plex Media Server? If so, would you mind sharing it?

Replies (6)

RE: Plex - Added by Bob Smith about 6 years ago

I did not receive any replies so I tried creating my own Plex profile for use with Movian (formerly showtime). I tried it with various video formats and it seems to work pretty well. It will also display subtitles. However, playing subtitles means transcoding. If you are using subtitles you may be better off setting up an smb share and playing the movie through smb. If anyone knows how to play movies with subtitles through plex without transcoding, let me know.

Also, let me know if you try this and it works (or doesn't work) for you.

Movian Ps3.xml Magnifier (6.19 KB)

ok, I figured out how to play movies with subtitles through plex without transcoding. Install the opensubtiles.org plugin, then in global settings, goto subtitles and enable opensubtitles.org. You may also have to set your language in global settings under languages. With this the subtitles should automatically display. If they don't try hitting the triangle button and going to subtitle tracks. This should give you a list of the various subtitles that opensubtitles.org found. Make sure that you did not enable subtitles in the plex web app or your subtitles will display twice (and plex will transcode the video).

This worked on the couple of videos I have that I use subtitles. According to the forum, the plugin is not perfect in movian because it finds the subtitles based on the hash code of the videos. If the hash code of your video file differs, movian may not find your subtitles. There is talk of improving this search capability to include manual search or searches based on the file name but this has not happened yet.

I also tried putting the subtitle srt files directly on the ps3 harddrive but had no luck in getting movian to play them through plex. If anyone has any idea on how to get this to work I would appreciate it.

RE: Plex - Added by ├člueplanet . about 6 years ago

Bob Smith wrote:

I also tried putting the subtitle srt files directly on the ps3 harddrive but had no luck in getting movian to play them through plex. If anyone has any idea on how to get this to work I would appreciate it.

Have you assigned a central subtitle folder?. Movian should detect any subtitles in the folder you specify.
just write the path to a folder containing subtitles in the path to central folder: box located in settings/subtitles.

I tried adding a path to the central folder using dev_usb000/subtitles and dev_hdd000/subtitles. Neither of these worked.

RE: Plex - Added by Leonid Protasov about 6 years ago

Bob Smith wrote:

I tried adding a path to the central folder using dev_usb000/subtitles and dev_hdd000/subtitles. Neither of these worked.

Try /dev_hdd0/subtitles and /dev_usb0/subtitles

I tried that but that did not fix the problem.

(1-6/6)