Showtime / Movian MKV playback jerky on high demanding FPS movie scenes

Added by Toma Lamix over 5 years ago

Hy everyone,

I've been searching around the web about this issue but i cannot find a specific answer for my problem and i believe its not only me noticing this issue.

What happens is that every single MKV file i play on my PS3, reading the file from my NAS and using Showtime (now known as Movian), running on multiMan, the image gets real choppy during several scenes. The movie scenes are the ones when some rapid movements of the characters or objects are performed, like a car chase scene or some guys running or other action scene.

While the picture is stabilized on some images this is not noticeable and the 720p or 1080p can be enjoyed perfectly. As soon as the picture starts moving again some very slightly "gags" starts to appear and gets "worse" if the scene moves too fast.

This happens with 720p or 1080p files, small (~4Gb) or larger (~12Gb), in this case size doesn't matter :)

The movie doesnt get out of sync, the sound is perfectly synced, no problems on that department.

If it helps somehow ive noticed when i press the "Square" key on the PS3 controller i can see some real-time performance readings and i can see that while the scene is more or less focused on a particular scene the network transfer rate is 2 or 3 times more than the decoding speed, when the scene starts moving faster and the choppy video begins the network speed stays more or less the same but the decoding speed goes up and hits the network speed which is not, let me say this, a "fail-safe" procedure.

By the way, the network is all 1Gbit, NAS , router and PS3, all wired.

I think ive explained my self good but if any of you guys can help me or if there is something i can test to try to dig this one up please do so.

Thank you!

Tomalamix

Replies (10)

RE: Showtime / Movian MKV playback jerky on high demanding FPS movie scenes - Added by Leonid Protasov over 5 years ago

Toma Lamix wrote:

Hy everyone,

I've been searching around the web about this issue but i cannot find a specific answer for my problem and i believe its not only me noticing this issue.

What happens is that every single MKV file i play on my PS3, reading the file from my NAS and using Showtime (now known as Movian), running on multiMan, the image gets real choppy during several scenes. The movie scenes are the ones when some rapid movements of the characters or objects are performed, like a car chase scene or some guys running or other action scene.

While the picture is stabilized on some images this is not noticeable and the 720p or 1080p can be enjoyed perfectly. As soon as the picture starts moving again some very slightly "gags" starts to appear and gets "worse" if the scene moves too fast.

This happens with 720p or 1080p files, small (~4Gb) or larger (~12Gb), in this case size doesn't matter :)

The movie doesnt get out of sync, the sound is perfectly synced, no problems on that department.

If it helps somehow ive noticed when i press the "Square" key on the PS3 controller i can see some real-time performance readings and i can see that while the scene is more or less focused on a particular scene the network transfer rate is 2 or 3 times more than the decoding speed, when the scene starts moving faster and the choppy video begins the network speed stays more or less the same but the decoding speed goes up and hits the network speed which is not, let me say this, a "fail-safe" procedure.

By the way, the network is all 1Gbit, NAS , router and PS3, all wired.

I think ive explained my self good but if any of you guys can help me or if there is something i can test to try to dig this one up please do so.

Thank you!

Tomalamix

Very well put but it misses two things:
1. Movian in Multiman is not supported and known to have nonfixable issues (at the moment). Please use standalone version: https://movian.tv/downloads/movian/master
2. Please include the sample. Just cut out a small piece of the mkv (tools can be found on internet), play on your ps3 to be sure the bug is reproducible and attach the sample here.

RE: Showtime / Movian MKV playback jerky on high demanding FPS movie scenes - Added by Toma Lamix over 5 years ago

ok, ive done all tasks, installed the most up to date Movian version (bleeding edge) and then ran the sample ive made.

The issue i talk about is still present, you will be able to see on your tv some lack of smoothness during the scenes with fast moving objects and a more solid playback during the scenes that doesn't have moving scenes. i attach the sample here (sorry to be this way, i know it annoys you :( ):

http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1433025276
http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1433025648

the TV is a Samsung F7000 series with the latest FW, is known to be a great TV for cinema so i thing my problem isn't there too.

my main goal is to get the smoothness expected from a 1080p or 720p movie. i can get it with my cable TV box transmitting HD channels, why not with a local network playing MKV?

thanks for your help

RE: Showtime / Movian MKV playback jerky on high demanding FPS movie scenes - Added by Leonid Protasov over 5 years ago

Toma Lamix wrote:

ok, ive done all tasks, installed the most up to date Movian version (bleeding edge) and then ran the sample ive made.

The issue i talk about is still present, you will be able to see on your tv some lack of smoothness during the scenes with fast moving objects and a more solid playback during the scenes that doesn't have moving scenes. i attach the sample here (sorry to be this way, i know it annoys you :( ):

http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1433025276
http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1433025648

the TV is a Samsung F7000 series with the latest FW, is known to be a great TV for cinema so i thing my problem isn't there too.

my main goal is to get the smoothness expected from a 1080p or 720p movie. i can get it with my cable TV box transmitting HD channels, why not with a local network playing MKV?

thanks for your help

Samples are not downloadable. Please attach here. Or better make issue: https://movian.tv/projects/movian/issues

Toma Lamix wrote:

The file was 170mb, had to cut it.

here it goes

thanks

Playable smooth in standalone Movian of v4.9.492. I suppose you now run the latest Movian v4.9.492 and directly from XMB (not from Multiman). So I suppose that problem at your side could be failing HDD in NAS or network problems.

RE: Showtime / Movian MKV playback jerky on high demanding FPS movie scenes - Added by Toma Lamix over 5 years ago

maybe is a frames problem...if the frames isnt there i cannot expect a smooth play. the lack of smoothness i talk about is the difference from reading a Bluray disk to this MKV file, the smoothness is not the same and maybe i have to live with that... :(

RE: Showtime / Movian MKV playback jerky on high demanding FPS movie scenes - Added by Toma Lamix about 4 years ago

hy guys,

Sorry to bring up this topic again but only now i had time to get busy with this. So, now i'm using the Movian from XMB instead from Multiman.

The blurred images is present like you can see on the attached pictures, some are OK, on scenes where there is no movement, but as soon as the image starts to move the "blur" starts and i can notice it. On a 1080P movie i should be able to see things like this. This happens with 25Gb MKV or 12Gb or 6Gb, the "blur" appears always.

This movie is 1080P played from Movian latest version launched from XMB. The TV is a F7000, its refresh rate is really great, and i can watch the movie without this blurred images if i play it from my old Samsung BD-P3600 Blue-ray player. I don't use it any more because i cannot FF, RR or seek time on the movie. The future would be to play movies from my PS3 but the quality is a lot worse than my old hardware :(

Is there any setting where i could tweak to pull the quality where it should be (no blurred images ) ?

Thanks everyone

letteres_ok.jpg - Letters OK (1.69 MB)

letters blured.jpg - Letters Blurred (1.9 MB)

nok2.jpg - Face blurred - moving (1.18 MB)

nok.jpg - Face blurred - moving 2 (1.43 MB)

ok.jpg (1.69 MB)

RE: Showtime / Movian MKV playback jerky on high demanding FPS movie scenes - Added by Toma Lamix over 3 years ago

Hello everyone,

After a looooong struggle with this i've finally found what's causing the blurred playback: hardware acceleration is the key. Or better saying the lack of it.. Movian doesnt use HW acceleration on PS3, don't know specifically why is that because PS3 have a strong GUI for sure, it would be strange not to have the HW acceleration feature available.

Movian, and also other players apps, uses software acceleration for the acceleration purpose, what ever that is. Why Movian does that on PS3? The explanation may be real simple, and may have something to do with the hardware it self and not the software used to playback the movies. While some players have a specific hardware to handle this acceleration, others doesn't have that, turning necessary to consume CPU time to do the software acceleration. This process consumes time on the CPU, and that "eats" a few frames in the process, decreasing the movie smoothness as you can see in the previous images attached.

I've tried playing the exact same movies/files on an Android box, with HW acceleration available and it played real smooth, when i changed the settings on the same software not to use HW acceleration the blurred effect appeared again just like in PS3 while using Movian.

My question now is simple, is the PS3 able to use HW acceleration? If yes will Movian be able to use it instead of using SW to do that task? Or add an option to enable/ disable HW acceleration?

Thanks

RE: Showtime / Movian MKV playback jerky on high demanding FPS movie scenes - Added by Dean Kasabow over 3 years ago

Movian uses hardware acceleration on the PS3 if it is supported by the CELL/SPU - that will be for DivX/XviD/MPEG1/MPEG2/AVC/H264 (for AVC/H264 up to a specific Level/ref-frames). If your video is not supported by the ps3 hardware you get slowdowns and issues.

I have absolutely no issues playing movies on my PS3 (up to [email protected] H264/AVC).

RE: Showtime / Movian MKV playback jerky on high demanding FPS movie scenes - Added by Toma Lamix about 3 years ago

Thanks Dean for your feedback!

That toke me to search around for what HW acceleration can the PS3 handle and i've found that Movian have a list of capabilities when working on a PS3 system, goes like this:

"Hardware accelerated video decoding

PS3: Accelerated H.264 (up to level 4.2), MPEG-2. PS3's cell codecs do not support hardware accelerated playing of: HEVC/H265, H264 profile > 4.2, H264 High 10 (10bit), VP6, VP8, VC1/WMV9. Movian tries to play those anyway (ie decodes by using CPU). But the success varies to sound only or blackscreen when reframes/resolution are high.
RPi: Accelerated H.264 High 10 Profile (up to level 5.0), MPEG-4 (DivX, XviD), MPEG-2 (needs license), VC-1 (needs license). GPU accelerated VP6, VP8 (SD resolutions only), MJPEG, Ogg Theora (up to 720p)
Linux: Accelerated H.264 using VDPAU (NVIDIA cards only)
OS X: Accelerated H.264
"

So my question is how to check if my movie is up to level 4.2, whatever that is, and plus if it is above that level how to make it "shrink" to a desirable level to be playback using HW acceleration on the ps3. Finaly i think we're reaching somewhere.

thanks to everyone involved so far

cheers

(1-10/10)