support arabic subtitle. attached files

Added by Msa Alm over 9 years ago

we all love showtime it's really great media player on ps3. one more thing we are as arabic speakers need to be done on this media player which is "support arabic subtitle". I sometime watch movies on Navi-X but without subtitle ;(. I know this is an old issue that never been solved but I digged into XBMC how they added arabic support in their application. I found Arabic encoding files and Im sure these files help you Andreas Öman to add arabic support for the subtitle.
arabic using the font ariel + encoding cp1256 (langinfo.xml)
I really appreciate your hard work and effort.
check the files
\ /
\ /
\ /
\/

langinfo.xml Magnifier (564 Bytes)

strings.po Magnifier (205 KB)

arial.ttf (4.03 MB)

Replies (12)

RE: support arabic subtitle. attached files - Added by Msa Alm over 9 years ago

I looked at the web page :( and I understood nothing . If there is something else I can do to help you out other than programming and coding things:) .

RE: support arabic subtitle. attached files - Added by Andreas Smas over 9 years ago

The biggest (and only?) problem is that Showtime does not properly do left-to-right rendering of text.

It's on the TODO list but so is a lot of other things. I'm not sure when I will have time to fix it :(

You meant right-left. Don't worry about just take your time. But if you add the encode windows-1256 like the encodes on showtime settings list, I believe will solve the problem.
Forgive me If I think this thing can be done so easily. No clue:( .

RE: support arabic subtitle. attached files - Added by Andreas Smas over 9 years ago

Msa Alm wrote:

You meant right-left. Don't worry about just take your time. But if you add the encode windows-1256 like the encodes on showtime settings list, I believe will solve the problem.
Forgive me If I think this thing can be done so easily. No clue:( .

Oh, that's super easy to do. So I've done that now and it will be included in next update of Showtime for PS3.

The exact version that adds support for CP-1256 is 4.3.288

Have fun!

Thank you very very very much. You guys seriously something good for this world :)

RE: support arabic subtitle. attached files - Added by jaffar alsaffar over 9 years ago

I downloaded the latest version fo PS3showtime, once again Andreas Öman did a great job but the problem still persist,despite choosing proper encoding Arabic letters are seperated and reversed..it's well-known that Arabic not supported natively on many systems but for ps3showtime it's possible to do some modification on the subtitle to make it displayed on ps3 properly using two ways
+ this is php class developed by Khaled Al-Sham'aa to support rendering Arabic text (windows cp1256) to joined Arabic glyphs
http://www.ar-php.org/I18N/Arabic/Docs/I18N_Arabic/_Arabic---Glyphs.php.html
+ another way although primitive is using this perl script i wrote about long time ago
http://abjdiaty.blogspot.com/2012/01/ps3-friendly-arabic-subs-converter.html
I dont know much about programming either, but i guess Andreas could use of the information mentioned earlier to make ps3showtime more Arabic friendly =)
Thank you

thanks jaffar for valuable information. Andreas Öman is doing his best to solve this issue, but he doesn't know how Arabic texts look like in correct form. I capture two picture of a movie one with original subtitle and second with modified subtitle using (perl script) got it from this link
[[http://abjdiaty.blogspot.com/2012/01/ps3-friendly-arabic-subs-converter.html]]
I attached both subtitles original and modified.
incorrect form
ه ت ا ك ر ب و ه ل ل ا ة م ح ر و م ك ي ل ع م ل ا س ل ا

correct form
السلام عليكم وحمة الله وبركاته

screen shot
incorrect form

correct form
السلام عليكم وحمة الله وبركاته

if you notice that the correct form letters are connected and dir. rtl on other side incorrect form letters separated and dir. ltr.

try to add rtl support to encode utf-8.
look at this again it's from xbmc see what can come up with,,

< ?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="true"? >
< language locale="ar" >
<charsets>
<gui unicodefont="true">CP1256</gui>
<subtitle>CP1256</subtitle>
</charsets>-<dvd><menu>ar</menu>

when you test it post the showtime.self here i will test it with you and i'll give you feedback.

make sure to take your time we are not in a rush
thank you very much Andreas Öman.

RE: support arabic subtitle. attached files - Added by Leonid Protasov over 9 years ago

To sum up:
1. Direction of the text is wrong
2. Spaces between letters should be removed

Font should be changed from monospaced to proportional to cope with p.2

Leonid if you are talking about this

(incorrect form

correct form
السلام عليكم وحمة الله وبركاته)

Yes I put spaces and I wrote it from left to righ to give an idea to Andreas Öman what the subtitle looks like on showtime.

And thnx Leonid:)

Andreas Öman could you please try any movie and select Arabic subtitle on Ubunto os then upload the screenshot here.

RE: support arabic subtitle. attached files - Added by Leonid Protasov over 9 years ago

Well I tried to dig into spaces problem. And that is the font problem only. Just manually install proper font. Read about that in font handling FAQ: https://showtimemediacenter.com/projects/showtime/wiki/FAQ

That is how it looks with proper font on linux: http://ge.tt/9o7gFsn/v/0?c?c

Now the only thing left is proper handling of right-to-left texts.

Please try to install ARIALUNI.TTF, recode SRT files by script, and upload some screenshots to see how it looks...

(1-12/12)