A little sound issue

Added by Calle Thor about 10 years ago

Hey! Thnx for this epic piece of software. Was previously using an AppleTV to stream movies (mostly .mkv) and music (mainly .flac) from my QNAP server (Twonky 7.0.9), but have now moved over to Showtime. I definitely find the Showtime Interface A LOT more pleasing and secondly it is more responsive due to the gigabit ethernet port on the PS3 which the ATV lacks.

ONE slight problem that i have found though is that i get this sort of popping and crackling noise during playback. Both in music and video, no matter what format. Not a big issue but it is a bit annoying sometimes.

Searched through the forum but couldn't find any related topic. Am i the only one with this problem? Any solution to this?

Thanks i advance!

Replies (16)

RE: A little sound issue - Added by Calle Thor about 10 years ago

Oi!
Seems as if I have solved it. Mounted the NAS as SMB share and the problem is gone. Guess it was Twonky that f'ed it all up.

RE: A little sound issue - Added by Jerome Morrow about 10 years ago

Using SMB, I also have some "popping and crackling noise during playback". This happens with 4.x (now i'm using the latest version: 4.1.100-gab20851), but not with the previous ones 3.xx.

Best regards

Jerome

RE: A little sound issue - Added by Mike Rulez about 10 years ago

yeah i too have the sound problem with smb and tversity with some movies, it used to work without the sound problem with old 3.xx versions

RE: A little sound issue - Added by Jamie Ben about 10 years ago

I am having the same with 4.0 and smb shares but not often.

James Ben wrote:

I am having the same with 4.0 and smb shares but not often.

The problem is not frequent in some files, but in others, occurs with more frequency.

RE: A little sound issue - Added by JCF Maneiro about 10 years ago

it happens to me as well and sometimes it becomes annoying noise.any solution to try?

Well, i don't know if this is the same case but my problem comes when i have those movies inside a folder with lots of folders inside it (like this http://i.imgur.com/EEld4.png )some of those movies start with the popping problem but if i move it to the root of the drive it will play just fine, it used to play just fine with those old showtime builds.

RE: A little sound issue - Added by JCF Maneiro about 10 years ago

i tried it and it worked, butcan someonefix that?

Nice to hear it worked for you also, i made a ticket long ago but it disappeared (guess was deleted) because i was only the only one with this problem and it needed more feedback, andreas is the only one that could fix this i guess

Mike Rulez wrote:

Well, i don't know if this is the same case but my problem comes when i have those movies inside a folder with lots of folders inside it (like this http://i.imgur.com/EEld4.png )some of those movies start with the popping problem but if i move it to the root of the drive it will play just fine, it used to play just fine with those old showtime builds.

Hello, your explanation sounds reasonable enough.

This file was in a folder with other 67 files (all like this one). When played it, sounded those annoying noises.

General
Complete name : Z:\Down**\Drag***\108-199 Sag****\DBZ CAP-149 ( EXOSANIME ).avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 174 MiB
Duration : 21mn 34s
Overall bit rate : 1 129 Kbps
Movie name : DBZ CAP-149 ( EXOSANIME )
Director :
Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.1 (build 2366/release)
Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 2366/release
Copyright :

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Advanced [email protected]
Format settings, BVOP : 2
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Bit rate : 992 Kbps
Width : 576 pixels
Height : 432 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Original frame rate : 25.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.166
Stream size : 153 MiB (88%)
Writing library : XviD 1.1.0 (UTC 2005-11-22)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Mode : Joint stereo
Mode extension : MS Stereo
Codec ID : 55
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 19.8 MiB (11%)
Alignment : Split accross interleaves
Interleave, duration : 42 ms (1.00 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms

Then, I moved it to the root of the network drive, and I can hardly heard any of them.

Best regards and thanks for the possible solution

Jerome

Hi Jerome, nice to know this also works for you, to be honest, try to make a ticket and maybe we will get a fix (i did a ticket long ago but needed some feedback and got deleted, so now its the time) :)

RE: A little sound issue - Added by Calle Thor about 10 years ago

Ok so it wasn't all Twonkys fault after all... and obviously I am not the only one with this issue. Haven't tried the "moving files to root solution" but great to hear that it works as a quick fix. But of course we definitely need a permanent fix for this. And yeah, as someone wrote, the noise is more audible in some files than in other. Which I find weird.

RE: A little sound issue - Added by Chris Bourne about 10 years ago

I have had the crackles/pops in later 3.xx versions (all that I tried / all that I could get working with CIFS anyway) and 4.xx

I seem to get them on all codecs - MP3, FLAC as well as audio with xvid/264 videos.

I'm connected over Gigabit LAN to my server, which is a Solaris 11 box with a ~9TB ZFS pool.

I DON'T seem to get it when playing a file from a flash drive. Is there any pattern like this for the rest of you?

To me, it seems to be a buffering issue (but then again, video is unaffected). Is there anything I can provide log-wise to help track this down?

I have generated a ticket here -> https://www.lonelycoder.com/redmine/issues/1308 Please keep an eye out and see if we can fix this.

yeah, if i play one of those files with audio problem using a flash drive/usb hdd it will play flawlessly, also, if i have LOTS of folders (300 or something like this Media/movies/m/movie1,movie2,movie300) it will create the problem but if i just have like 50 or something folders it will not create the problem (hope i could be more clear but right now i need to sleep :P)

Hey guys update your showtime to 4.1.244 and you will not have those problem anymore, just to let you know i tested the same files and all are working as they used to work before the sound problem :)

Mike Rulez wrote:

Hey guys update your showtime to 4.1.244 and you will not have those problem anymore, just to let you know i tested the same files and all are working as they used to work before the sound problem :)

That's right.. using the new version (4.1.244), now we have flawless audio tracks again. :D

Best regards

Jerome

(1-16/16)