Incompatibility with new scene MP4 releases

Added by Rusty Unknown over 8 years ago

I'm having a problem with many MP4 scene releases.

The video will stop playing after a few seconds, but the audio will continue.

The ticket is here: https://www.lonelycoder.com/redmine/issues/890

Download problematic file for testing: http://www.mediafire.com/?93l9pg5fy4y830j,83vhayuxxex8490,m2pc07vrmb0a773,ost6tr4apgn5g4y,fxwklort0aqticc

Please have a look at this, because I'm forced to remux all my MP4 videos to MKV to guarantee compatibility until this is resolved.

Replies (13)

RE: Incompatibility with new scene MP4 releases - Added by Kal-El Junior over 8 years ago

Showtime was created mainly for MKV in mind.

MP4 is playable natively on the PS3, so I don't see what the problem is, you're not forced to remux.

RE: Incompatibility with new scene MP4 releases - Added by Jerome Morrow over 8 years ago

@Rust: Same happens to me, with the new mp4 episodes, like this one:
http://goo.gl/8Zhfh

@Kal-El Junior: I did not try to play that file with the native player, but anyway I prefer to play all my samba files with just one app, and Showtime works flawless with most of them.

Best regards

Jerome

RE: Incompatibility with new scene MP4 releases - Added by Rusty Unknown over 8 years ago

Kal-El Junior wrote:

Showtime was created mainly for MKV in mind.

MP4 is playable natively on the PS3, so I don't see what the problem is, you're not forced to remux.

Yes you are. The PS3 does not always support the video/audio codecs contained in the MP4 container. Just because the PS3 supports the container, doesn't mean it will support the various video and audio formats contained within it.

RE: Incompatibility with new scene MP4 releases - Added by Rusty Unknown over 8 years ago

Andreas Oman fixed it.

Much appreciated!

RE: Incompatibility with new scene MP4 releases - Added by Girish Patel over 8 years ago

This fix is a big one!!! As now nearly all of my mp4 files work!! I always had to contain them in a mkv file to get Showtime to play. But I've just checked and the files that had black screens with audio now work!

Thank you!!! :)

RE: Incompatibility with new scene MP4 releases - Added by Andreas Smas over 8 years ago

Girish Patel wrote:

This fix is a big one!!! As now nearly all of my mp4 files work!! I always had to contain them in a mkv file to get Showtime to play. But I've just checked and the files that had black screens with audio now work!

You say 'nearly all of my mp4 files'?
Are there still some that does not work?
I'd be interested in looking at those as well.

RE: Incompatibility with new scene MP4 releases - Added by Girish Patel over 8 years ago

Yes, there is one file with a very high ReFrame. It's no big problem but I'll post up a clip when I get time.

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile :
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 15 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 1h 29mn
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 2 800 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 14.5 Mbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 688 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 1.860

RE: Incompatibility with new scene MP4 releases - Added by Andreas Smas over 8 years ago

Ok, high ref-frames is something that's just not supported by the SPU H264 decoder :-(

So that needs to be re-encoded to be playable. I assume it does not play in the XMB either, no?

I've just tried and all I get is corrupted data playing in the XMB. It's no big thing as its just one file out of around 600.

RE: Incompatibility with new scene MP4 releases - Added by Ema Nymton over 8 years ago

I confirm this new build has also resolved the same issues described by the OP. Thanks Andreas :)

(1-13/13)