Samba: Socket read error during negoation ?

Added by Joakim Ekedorff about 11 years ago

Hi all!

First, thanks for a great software Andreas!

I have been trying hard to get the Samba working from my PS3, but I am completely stuck and need help from you guys.

My Samba share runs on my NAS-router WL-500gp with external USB discs connected to it. I believe it runs Samba2 with Olegs latest custom firmware.
I can access the Samba share from my Windows 7 machines, so it is at least up and running.

But when typing in the IP-address or the samba host name in Showtime (i.e. smb://192.168.1.1/share or smb://wl-500) it says "Socket read error during negoation".
I have checked the Samba log files in my router via Telnet but they show no warnings/errors at all.

There are not much Samba settings in WL-500gp:
Default Access Level: Read/Write
Host Name: wl-500
Workgroup Name: workgroup
DOS Codepage: 850

I would appriciate any help or things to check. I am out of ideas now...

Thanks
Joakim

Replies (12)

RE: Samba: Socket read error during negoation ? - Added by Andreas Smas about 11 years ago

Sounds like there is a bug in Showtime's SMB implementation. A bit hard to diagnose though.

If you somehow could get a network trace dump (wireshark, tcpdump or similar) from the session it would be of tremendous help.

RE: Samba: Socket read error during negoation ? - Added by Joakim Ekedorff about 11 years ago

I finally managed to dump the traffic filtered by port 445 and 139 (based on info here: http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Capture_Packets). Please see the attached files.
The one from win7 is from when I refreshed a folder in my share containing 3 subfolders "Filmer", "Spel" and "Blandat".
The one from ps3 is from when I type in my smb:// url in Showtime and it says "Socket read error during negoation".

I don't understand much of the dump files, hopefully it makes more sense for you or someone else in here! :)

The command I have been used to get the dumps:
tcpdump -nnvXSs 0 port 445 or port 139 > dump_win7.txt

Thanks,
Joakim

dumpwin7.txt Magnifier (17.8 KB)

dumpps3.txt Magnifier (958 Bytes)

RE: Samba: Socket read error during negoation ? - Added by Joakim Ekedorff about 11 years ago

I did another dump from win7 where I increased the size of each packed dump to capture as much interesting data as possible.
This capture is from when I browse to \\192.168.1.1 in file explorer which shows me my 2 shares "harddrive1tb" and "harddrive500gb"

Joakim

dump_win7.txt Magnifier (72.1 KB)

RE: Samba: Socket read error during negoation ? - Added by Andreas Smas about 11 years ago

Joakim Ekedorff wrote:

I finally managed to dump the traffic filtered by port 445 and 139 (based on info here: http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Capture_Packets). Please see the attached files.
The one from win7 is from when I refreshed a folder in my share containing 3 subfolders "Filmer", "Spel" and "Blandat".
The one from ps3 is from when I type in my smb:// url in Showtime and it says "Socket read error during negoation".

I don't understand much of the dump files, hopefully it makes more sense for you or someone else in here! :)

The command I have been used to get the dumps:
tcpdump -nnvXSs 0 port 445 or port 139 > dump_win7.txt

You need to write the dump to a dump file (so I can import them into a packet inspection tool such as wireshark)

So you need to do something like this:

tcpdump -n -s 1600 -w dump.cap port 445 or port 139

the -s1600 is important so you capture the entire frame. -s 0 might work too but I've never relied on that myself

Thanks,
Joakim

Doh! And I thought you've have no use of the -w file because there were almost no human readable characters in it when I opened it in Notepad. :)

So here is my third try:

The one from win7 is from when I browse to \\192.168.1.1 in file explorer which shows me my 2 shares "harddrive1tb" and "harddrive500gb"
The one from ps3 is from when I type in my smb://192.168.1.1/harddrive1tb in Showtime and it says "Socket read error during negoation".

Thanks for your quick responses,
Joakim

dumpwin7.cap (12.5 KB)

dumpps3.cap (188 Bytes)

Would you prefer if I create a ticket for this, or do you want to confirm whether it is a Showtime related issue or not first?
Thanks.

Creating a ticket is a good idea.

Just FYI I'm leaving on a 6 week vacation next week and during that time it won't be much (as in none) PS3 development from me.

OK, ticket is issued now.

Enjoy your vacation. Try to let your programming mind rest during all 6 weeks!! :)

RE: Samba: Socket read error during negoation ? - Added by Valentin Meriel about 11 years ago

hi,

I've see the same probleme with my linksys routeur (with DD wrt firmware) and my debian NAS (on a arm plugcomputer).

It's probably a name resolver probleme because some time my computer is view some time not (but all of time it work with smb://192.168.x.x/Share)

And my router is not see at all (smb://DDWRT/ or smb://192.168.1.1).

RE: Samba: Socket read error during negoation ? - Added by henrique costa about 11 years ago

If you upgrade samba2 to samba3 showtime will
work :-) i tried it because i use a wl500gp
and had the same problem.....

RE: Samba: Socket read error during negoation ? - Added by Valentin Meriel about 11 years ago

For me samba is already on V3 (kong mod of dd wrt).

Cool! I will try Samba3 instead as soon as possible. =)
Thanks for the tip.

edit
I couldn't resist to try it out =)
Samba3 on wl-500gp works perfect!! Thanks!

Regards,
Joakim

(1-12/12)