Can we stream 1080p mkv videos now?

Added by Kal-El Junior almost 10 years ago

Hi,

I recently saw this in the Repository: Increase IO buffers for video streaming

this may be a noob question but does this make streaming mkv from like a media server any better?

I really want to be able to stream 1080p videos without it quitting out, coz the buffer runs out, or just freezing.

Replies (9)

RE: Can we stream 1080p mkv videos now? - Added by Kal-El Junior almost 10 years ago

I watched a whole movie without it stopping, or the buffer running out, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :D :D :D!

RE: Can we stream 1080p mkv videos now? - Added by Ema Nymton almost 10 years ago

Cool :) Which version are you using? I still think there's a bug with multiple RAR... The buffer is slower to fill up when switching to the second RAR...

RE: Can we stream 1080p mkv videos now? - Added by andrew hill almost 10 years ago

Does it have to be 1080? I have a 52 inch 1080 tv in my bedroom and I am quite happy with 720p files, they look good, play good, and are a "reasonable" size compared to true 1080 to where you don't have to split them for external drives which i'm guessing is why you have yours in multiple rars.

RE: Can we stream 1080p mkv videos now? - Added by Kal-El Junior almost 10 years ago

I use the last official release, anything after that compiled by red squirrel is broken, and can't stream 1080p without lag.

I don't use multiple rar files, I don't have to, I keep the files on my hard drive connected to my computer, and my ps3 to my PC through ethernet.

It doesn't have to be 1080p lol, and you do have to split 720p files if you're gonna be using it the rar way, since most 720p movies are over 4gb.

RE: Can we stream 1080p mkv videos now? - Added by andrew hill almost 10 years ago

I can find high quality 720p movies no problem under 4gb, an hour is a little over a gb so a 2:30 movie just over 3gb is just fine. The multiple rar thing is more trouble than they're worth 720p is looking good on my too big tv that I sit way to close to so ema may be happier getting smaller files that are easier to store and you can fit more, I have 715gb of tv shows all hd and all on my external hard drive playing perfect. just some advice though, keep your music collection on the ps3's internal as showtime reads the internal way faster and that becomes an issue with a high amount of folders in folders in folders....

RE: Can we stream 1080p mkv videos now? - Added by Rusty Unknown almost 10 years ago

This is not a Showtime problem. This is a network problem in your house.

Do one of these:
- Use smaller files (lower quality/bitrate).
- Transfer the movie to the PS3 HDD first
- If your PS3 is connected via your home router, make sure the HOST (PS3 Media Server PC) and the PS3 both use a wired connection, not wireless.
- Improve your transfer speed from the PC (PS3 Media Server HOST) to the PS3.

Most home routers are VERY slow. You will not be able to get the full speed of the ethernet cable.

If you have a laptop (or a computer with 2 network cards) connect the PS3 to the PC via an ethernet cable, then bridge the two connections. This will allow the PC to give the PS3 an IP address, and it can connect directly with the PS3, and skip other devices like a router.

This will give you a HUGE increase in transfer speed, and your large size movies (like big 1080p files with high bitrates) will play smoothly.

Increasing the buffer will not fix this problem in Showtime. If the buffer is big, maybe you can pause the movie and wait for it to buffer more, but unless the buffer can fit the entire movie, it will probably have to stop and buffer again after you play for ~20 minutes etc...

In other words, the real problem is the transfer speed from the Host (PC with streaming software/PS3 Media Server) to your PS3.

You don't have to be a genius to figure out 720p or anything over will need to have all components connected via ethernet.

I can play any of the 1080p movies I have, no problems, but if I update to a newer version of Showtime, they do not work.

Movies with a lot of CGI will have BD ISO's or remuxes in my collection, none of which I will play in Showtime.

I use Showtime mainly for streaming 1080p mkv movies from my computer, they all work fine in the build i'm using, I'm probably never going to update, since Andreas changed the way the buffer works, I can not stream 1080p in the newest versions.

RE: Can we stream 1080p mkv videos now? - Added by Girish Patel almost 10 years ago

what version are you running?

RE: Can we stream 1080p mkv videos now? - Added by Rusty Unknown almost 10 years ago

Are you getting any "low on memory/ram" messages?

Compared to the last stable release, the recent builds are having more performance problems for me as well. If the buffers have been increased, could it be using too much ram now?

I'm getting random problems like:
- video playback frozen (audio keeps going)
- Showtime freezes completely during playback
- random large areas of "blocky/glitchy stuff" in some video frames. When I reply that area of video, the glitch is gone (it doesn't always happen in the same spots either), but the problem happens frequently with my 720p+ h264 anime videos.

This does not seem to be a problem with standard xvid/avi files. Could only be related to higher bitrate files.

Also, these are with running from my internal HDD, not even streaming. It is possible that this issue isn't limited to just streaming then.

The video glitches are hard to debug since they are inconsistent. The only thing I know to do is probably upload a file, but you would probably have to wait for the issue to occur.

(1-9/9)