NTFS Alternative?

Added by Kal-El Junior about 11 years ago

Hi there,

I just thought about something, just had an idea, basically, you guys know how PS3 has sequential playback, where it can play split files and make it play like one big file automatically.

Could we do something like this?

Moviename.part1.mkv
Moviename.part2.mkv

but in showtime it could auto hide parts and make it look like one file? like so:

Moviename.mkv

and it could just auto play the split files in order?

This way what would we need NTFS for?

Just an idea.

Replies (29)

RE: NTFS Alternative? - Added by Andreas Smas about 11 years ago

The easiest way is to just add the file into a uncompressed RAR archive (warez-style).

Showtime can browse RAR archives as if they are a directory and will play the file from inside it.

RE: NTFS Alternative? - Added by Tiago windcrusher about 11 years ago

that's great!

I had not thought of rar.
I will test it as soon as possible .. showtime and considering that he sees as a folder, I believe that legends will also work!

Now I can format my 1TB in fat32 and keep the 320GB to NTFS!

RE: NTFS Alternative? - Added by Rusty Unknown about 11 years ago

That's actually a really nice alternative. Aside from having to do the packing job, it's pretty seamless once it's ready for showtime (See what I did there?).

I never thought of this before, but then again I completely forget it even supported the RAR format at all.

I tried but I had no success.
In the file list after showtime "clean up the files are not compatible," he turned the two rar files in a folder icon with a gift. "
But when I try to open the folder an error occurs. (I have now the correct error message)

RE: NTFS Alternative? - Added by Kal-El Junior about 11 years ago

Hi, please clarify?

If there's multiple archives = split mkv files, wouldn't I have to go into each folder to play them manually, and keep changing?

Kal-El,

This is not to split mkv files.
you should make an mkv file in RAR split files (RAR requesting generate a fixed size smaller than 4GB) then see the example:

I have a folder: SetUp.2011.720p.Blu-Ray.x264.DTS-EXTREME with two files:
extreme-setup.2011.720p.bluray.x264.mkv
extreme-setup.2011.720p.bluray.x264.srt

Asked compress the compression method (Store) and spli volumes to less than 4GB, then generating the files:
SetUp.2011.720p.Blu-Ray.x264.DTS-EXTREME.part1.rar
SetUp.2011.720p.Blu-Ray.x264.DTS-EXTREME.part2.rar

When you open the ps3 showtime, it identifies and .... .... part1.rar part2.rar showing as a 1 folder.

Just tried it, nope it doesn't work.

I used Winrar, split it to 4gb used 'Store' compression, got these files out of it:

Shaolin (2011)part1.rar
Shaolin (2011)part2.rar

Put it onto my 320gb external, in showtime I only get Shaolin (2011)part1.rar, its like a gift basket or something, and it doesn't open up.

RE: NTFS Alternative? - Added by Raiden LT about 11 years ago

I tried to, but doesn´t work, only show one part of the file(part1 like gift), but cant open the file.

when the file is selected it displays the error:
GLW theme://directoryviews/infobox/archive.view:0: Error:Unable to open theme://directoryviews/infobox/archive.view ...

RE: NTFS Alternative? - Added by Andreas Smas about 11 years ago

Something must have broken :-/

It used to work for sure. I'll have a look at it.

Thanks!!!

I register Bug #720 to resolve this issue.

This feature works great!

what do we need NTFS for?

Fantastic work Andreas Oman

We love you!

RE: NTFS Alternative? - Added by Rusty Unknown about 11 years ago

Yes, it is a great feature :p

RE: NTFS Alternative? - Added by Ema Nymton about 11 years ago

Tiago windcrusher wrote:

Thanks!!!

I register Bug #720 to resolve this issue.

The MVK playback in a RAR archive is not really smooth for me after some time (say 15 minutes). It seems that Showtime is running out of resources (RAM?) to playback the file, even though there's no warning message à la 'CPU too slow to decode'.

EDIT: I just found the issue. Upon jumping to the second RAR, it seems that the Showtime buffer is flushed (no anticipation from the second RAR?). If it happens during a high bitrate scene (typically around 6 or 7 Mbps on my sample video), the buffer cannot be filled on time to follow the playback pace. It can be solved by pausing the allow the buffer to fill up.

Is there any easy possible fix either by 1. anticipating filling the buffer earlier before jumping to the second RAR or 2. unpacking/filling the buffer more quickly?

Thanks!

RE: NTFS Alternative? - Added by Rural Hunter about 11 years ago

I heard that the high bitrate scene is playable(at least played better) if the rar file is transferred to internal HDD. I haven't tried it myself though.

Rural Hunter wrote:

I heard that the high bitrate scene is playable(at least played better) if the rar file is transferred to internal HDD. I haven't tried it myself though.

whats the point of making rar split files if you're going to transfer them to internal lol, the PS3 can handle any size file internally via FTP.

RE: NTFS Alternative? - Added by John Peña about 11 years ago

Rural Hunter wrote:

I can confirm this method does solve the bitrate issues. Hope another solutions emerges, it's just too much hassle to rar files and then copy them to your PS3 internal HDD.

Everything was tested with: Ayrton Senna Beyond the Speed of Sound 2010 1080p Bluray DTS x264-DON

RE: NTFS Alternative? - Added by dude112 dude112 almost 11 years ago

I see in the #720 it's been fixed but how do I fix it?
I've currently got showtime 3.2 installed.

Great! that did the trick. Thank you.

RE: NTFS Alternative? - Added by John Peña almost 11 years ago

I've updated to v.3.3.328, and now for some reason it's not playing any file from external HDD, including the rared movies.
They do play fine from internal.

Any one else having this same issue or it is just on my end?

Thanks.

Worked for me with 2 rarred files from external hdd. Was a bit choppy but guess it's because it was 1080p.

RE: NTFS Alternative? - Added by John Peña almost 11 years ago

In my case when I open a file the screen shows a message on top that reads something about low cpu or RAM, then the ps3 freezes in a black screen.

Every time I have to force-restart to get the ps3 working again.

RE: NTFS Alternative? - Added by Rusty Unknown almost 11 years ago

If the PS3 is locking up try a different showtime build. You're probably using an unstable build.

This happened to me a week or so ago and I tried a few other older/newer builds until I got one that stopped freezing.

Try the newest build first, by downloading from here:
http://www.jaensch-koloska.de/maximilian/ps3/showtime/showtime.zip

RE: NTFS Alternative? - Added by Ema Nymton almost 11 years ago

Problem still present in build showtime_geohot-3.3.385.g334dc. Currently trying with file "Inception.720p.BluRay.x264-CROSSBOW.mkv" for external HDD and the PS3 is still unable to properly fill its buffer after jumping to the second RAR (no problem at all on the first RAR). I suspect a flawed RAM management; anyone else experiencing the same issue?
Thanks

1 2 (1-25/29)