Why DVD movies not supported

Added by Nitro G about 10 years ago

Hi, I read the specs that says DVD ISO movies are supported. But they don't play. Just a blank screen and nothing happens.

I am using Showtime 3.1.228 with PS3 slim. I have copied several DVD movies (only 3GB size) to an external Fat32 drive. Showtime can see the iso file, but when I play the movies they all just show a Black screen, with no Hard Disk activity at all.

Also I tried copying the .VOB files directly, but Showtime also doesn't play them.

However if I play the disc directly using the PS3 video player (not showtime) , all the discs play flawlessly.

What's the problem, anyone knows?

Replies (16)

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Andreas Smas about 10 years ago

Yeah, it does in fact not work on the ps3. I've no idea why yet.

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Ajith Thampi about 10 years ago

Nitro G wrote:

Hi, I read the specs that says DVD ISO movies are supported. But they don't play. Just a blank screen and nothing happens.

I am using Showtime 3.1.228 with PS3 slim. I have copied several DVD movies (only 3GB size) to an external Fat32 drive. Showtime can see the iso file, but when I play the movies they all just show a Black screen, with no Hard Disk activity at all.

Also I tried copying the .VOB files directly, but Showtime also doesn't play them.

However if I play the disc directly using the PS3 video player (not showtime) , all the discs play flawlessly.

File a Bug Nitro. It's all yours for the taking. :)

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Andreas Smas about 10 years ago

Ajith Thampi wrote:

Nitro G wrote:

File a Bug Nitro. It's all yours for the taking. :)

Please don't. There are already three bugs filed on this particular issue.

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Ajith Thampi about 10 years ago

Sorry Nitro, 3 guys beat you to this. ;P

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Nitro G about 10 years ago

Thanks for the replies. As long as it's a known issue that can be fixed, I am not concerned about who reports the bugs first :)

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Nitro G almost 10 years ago

Any progress yet on this Bug? I would really love to copy my old DVDs and play on the PS3 using Showtime.

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Rusty Unknown almost 10 years ago

Have you considered using some ripping software to rip the DVDs to MKV files?

This is the best solution until support is added.

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Nitro G over 9 years ago

I guess after waiting almost a year, it's time to give up on playing DVD ISO. I don't think the authors will ever come out with a solution.

I can't waste time on converting a few hundreds ISOs to MKV or other formats.

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Rusty Unknown over 9 years ago

Buying a CobraUSB is your only option currently for DVD ISOs. But good luck getting a decent collection considering the sizes of ISOs.

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Andreas Smas over 9 years ago

Nitro G wrote:

I guess after waiting almost a year, it's time to give up on playing DVD ISO. I don't think the authors will ever come out with a solution.

I can't waste time on converting a few hundreds ISOs to MKV or other formats.

When people write stuff like this I feel so bad about it so I tend to fix it :-)

Playback of DVD ISO files and VIDEO_TS folders should work now on Showtime for PS3 staring with version 3.5.121
The build servers are working on a build right now so 3.5.121 should appear on the download page in a few hours. (Due to some other changes it requires a complete toolchain rebuild as well, hence the delay)

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Jerome Morrow over 9 years ago

@Andreas Öman: Excellent news!! Once again, many thanks for this great player.

Best regards

Jerome

Dear Mr Andreas, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!! I can't thank you enough :). Sorry for my depressing remark, my apologies, but I was getting depressed :D. Now it's all good, no need to go see a psychiatrist.

Btw, Can I just install the New version over the old one? Do I need to erase the old one first.

Once again , a very BIG Thank You !

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Jerome Morrow over 9 years ago

It's true, ISOs now can be played. In my case, all my files are stored in other device (Popcorn Hour A110), using Samba to access them.

Last night I did tests with 5 or 6 Isos, but, I think this feature still needs some fixes such as:
- Try to make some improving which look similar to the original PS3 dvd-player, for chapters, audios, subtitles, etc.
- Some glishes on AC3 5.1 audio
- Fix some problems with audio/video sync.
- Check sudden close showtime accessing to some sub-menus.

Since the start of the samba support, I use almost only PS3 as my default media player, with excellent result even with high bitrate files.

Best regards.

Jerome

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Andreas Smas over 9 years ago

Jerome Morrow wrote:

It's true, ISOs now can be played. In my case, all my files are stored in other device (Popcorn Hour A110), using Samba to access them.

Last night I did tests with 5 or 6 Isos, but, I think this feature still needs some fixes such as:
- Try to make some improving which look similar to the original PS3 dvd-player, for chapters, audios, subtitles, etc.

Yes, that is certainly needed.

- Some glishes on AC3 5.1 audio

What kind of glitches?

- Fix some problems with audio/video sync.

I know there are problems when initially seeking to a point or when it switches to a new title, etc.
Are there other issues?

- Check sudden close showtime accessing to some sub-menus.

Since the start of the samba support, I use almost only PS3 as my default media player, with excellent result even with high bitrate files.

Best regards.

Jerome

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by John Peña over 9 years ago

Hi guys, I just installed the latest 3.5 release (3.5.126-g12375a6).
It plays DVD ISOs from external hard drive great, but how do I change the language or select subtitles?? or even return to home menu??, it this possible at this point??

Thx.

(1-16/16)