Why DVD movies not supported

Added by Nitro G almost 9 years ago

Hi, I read the specs that says DVD ISO movies are supported. But they don't play. Just a blank screen and nothing happens.

I am using Showtime 3.1.228 with PS3 slim. I have copied several DVD movies (only 3GB size) to an external Fat32 drive. Showtime can see the iso file, but when I play the movies they all just show a Black screen, with no Hard Disk activity at all.

Also I tried copying the .VOB files directly, but Showtime also doesn't play them.

However if I play the disc directly using the PS3 video player (not showtime) , all the discs play flawlessly.

What's the problem, anyone knows?

Replies (16)

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Andreas Smas almost 9 years ago

Yeah, it does in fact not work on the ps3. I've no idea why yet.

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Ajith Thampi almost 9 years ago

Nitro G wrote:

Hi, I read the specs that says DVD ISO movies are supported. But they don't play. Just a blank screen and nothing happens.

I am using Showtime 3.1.228 with PS3 slim. I have copied several DVD movies (only 3GB size) to an external Fat32 drive. Showtime can see the iso file, but when I play the movies they all just show a Black screen, with no Hard Disk activity at all.

Also I tried copying the .VOB files directly, but Showtime also doesn't play them.

However if I play the disc directly using the PS3 video player (not showtime) , all the discs play flawlessly.

File a Bug Nitro. It's all yours for the taking. :)

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Andreas Smas almost 9 years ago

Ajith Thampi wrote:

Nitro G wrote:

File a Bug Nitro. It's all yours for the taking. :)

Please don't. There are already three bugs filed on this particular issue.

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Ajith Thampi almost 9 years ago

Sorry Nitro, 3 guys beat you to this. ;P

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Nitro G almost 9 years ago

Thanks for the replies. As long as it's a known issue that can be fixed, I am not concerned about who reports the bugs first :)

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Nitro G over 8 years ago

Any progress yet on this Bug? I would really love to copy my old DVDs and play on the PS3 using Showtime.

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Rusty Unknown over 8 years ago

Have you considered using some ripping software to rip the DVDs to MKV files?

This is the best solution until support is added.

I guess after waiting almost a year, it's time to give up on playing DVD ISO. I don't think the authors will ever come out with a solution.

I can't waste time on converting a few hundreds ISOs to MKV or other formats.

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Rusty Unknown over 8 years ago

Buying a CobraUSB is your only option currently for DVD ISOs. But good luck getting a decent collection considering the sizes of ISOs.

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Andreas Smas over 8 years ago

Nitro G wrote:

I guess after waiting almost a year, it's time to give up on playing DVD ISO. I don't think the authors will ever come out with a solution.

I can't waste time on converting a few hundreds ISOs to MKV or other formats.

When people write stuff like this I feel so bad about it so I tend to fix it :-)

Playback of DVD ISO files and VIDEO_TS folders should work now on Showtime for PS3 staring with version 3.5.121
The build servers are working on a build right now so 3.5.121 should appear on the download page in a few hours. (Due to some other changes it requires a complete toolchain rebuild as well, hence the delay)

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Jerome Morrow over 8 years ago

@Andreas Öman: Excellent news!! Once again, many thanks for this great player.

Best regards

Jerome

Dear Mr Andreas, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!! I can't thank you enough :). Sorry for my depressing remark, my apologies, but I was getting depressed :D. Now it's all good, no need to go see a psychiatrist.

Btw, Can I just install the New version over the old one? Do I need to erase the old one first.

Once again , a very BIG Thank You !

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Jerome Morrow over 8 years ago

It's true, ISOs now can be played. In my case, all my files are stored in other device (Popcorn Hour A110), using Samba to access them.

Last night I did tests with 5 or 6 Isos, but, I think this feature still needs some fixes such as:
- Try to make some improving which look similar to the original PS3 dvd-player, for chapters, audios, subtitles, etc.
- Some glishes on AC3 5.1 audio
- Fix some problems with audio/video sync.
- Check sudden close showtime accessing to some sub-menus.

Since the start of the samba support, I use almost only PS3 as my default media player, with excellent result even with high bitrate files.

Best regards.

Jerome

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by Andreas Smas over 8 years ago

Jerome Morrow wrote:

It's true, ISOs now can be played. In my case, all my files are stored in other device (Popcorn Hour A110), using Samba to access them.

Last night I did tests with 5 or 6 Isos, but, I think this feature still needs some fixes such as:
- Try to make some improving which look similar to the original PS3 dvd-player, for chapters, audios, subtitles, etc.

Yes, that is certainly needed.

- Some glishes on AC3 5.1 audio

What kind of glitches?

- Fix some problems with audio/video sync.

I know there are problems when initially seeking to a point or when it switches to a new title, etc.
Are there other issues?

- Check sudden close showtime accessing to some sub-menus.

Since the start of the samba support, I use almost only PS3 as my default media player, with excellent result even with high bitrate files.

Best regards.

Jerome

RE: Why DVD movies not supported - Added by John Peña over 8 years ago

Hi guys, I just installed the latest 3.5 release (3.5.126-g12375a6).
It plays DVD ISOs from external hard drive great, but how do I change the language or select subtitles?? or even return to home menu??, it this possible at this point??

Thx.

(1-16/16)