ps3 buffer hd

Added by andrew hill over 11 years ago

please increase buffer size as that seems to be the reason showtime has a hard time with hd. using the xmb I can play a file at 36mbps the same file is unplayable in showtime. I decided to track down the issue and every time one of my files studders and stops the buffer ran out. after further research it seems showtime uses a 10mb buffer, can you please build it with 25mb, 50mb, and 100mb buffers and I'll test them. I would build it myself but installing a post feb 15 2011 pslight thats not v2 is proving harder than expected.

here is showtime 3.1.35 with 100mb buffer source can someone post the .self and .pkg?

Replies (92)

RE: ps3 buffer hd - Added by andrew hill over 11 years ago

I thought it was odd that you didn't want to use that much ram as a buffer yet you kinda sorta (not really) did after doing it the right way.
Is there a way to speed up the time it takes to fill the packet buffer?
If Max Jansch posts a 3.213 with a 10mb buffer limit and 10mb mp buffer deep would that help the page buffer fill or is that totally independent?

RE: ps3 buffer hd - Added by Fred Flintstone over 11 years ago

3.1.35 is the last build that will play at all for me (streaming from ps3mediaserver). All the later builds go black for several seconds, then a momentary flicker of the player frame, then back to picklist. PS3 fat w/ 3.55 cfw. No idea how to troubleshoot this. I'd like to try out this buffer solution, but as it was only built on post-3.1.35 builds....

RE: ps3 buffer hd - Added by Cassius c over 11 years ago

Fred,

I have an identical issue to you at the moment albeit only with mkv files and it just wont play at all.

RE: ps3 buffer hd - Added by Fred Flintstone over 11 years ago

OK, it isn't everything that won't play for me. It is definitely content related. So far, it is only high bandwith stuff that has severe stuttering problems when using 3.1.35 that either goes back to picklist or locks up the PS3 when using 3.1.213/208/203/bigbuffer. Force 4.2 makes no difference. Hi-res low bandwith stuff seems to play - 1080 cartoons play, 720 movies do not, VGA movies do. My guess is this is related to the pause/resume problem.

Max can you post a 15mb buffer limit and buffer deep of the newest version.

RE: ps3 buffer hd - Added by Max Jänsch over 11 years ago

unsigned only. if somebody needs gh-version i'll upload it later

showtimebuffer.pkg - latest revision with 15MB buffer-size (5.36 MB)

thanks I want to see if that helps fill the buffer my thinking is if the bitrate is high mp buffer deep can't page to the hdd fast enough, however I didn't look to much into the way the page buffer fills and this probibly won't make a difference, I just figured its worth the try.

RE: ps3 buffer hd - Added by Max Jänsch over 11 years ago

you're welcome, if you have more ideas to try out just let me know. until thursday i'l be a little bit short of time, cause i have my final oral examination on wednesday morning. so i'l leave tommorow morning and hope to be back at wednesday evening.

No difference noticed, time to come up with another idea but at least mr. oman has the issue mostly fixed I'm just being picky and want it to play every thing the xmb does. (I know showtime does more codecs but xmb can handle 36mbps files showtime has buffer issues around 7mbps)

RE: ps3 buffer hd - Added by Kal-El Junior over 11 years ago

@max

15mb buffer, why don't you up it to like 85mb? I don't really mind about the memory issue, because the build i'm using now the latest official gets a black screen when I fast forward too much and I have to hard reset.

I usto be Showtime's number 1 fan, but I'm really doubting it now, I avoid it as much as I can, firstly because of my 5.1 system which is useless with Showtime, and secondly because Showtime does something with the audio, adds some equalizer effects of some sort which makes the audio sound disgusting, sounds like it's been processed with effects too much.

RE: ps3 buffer hd - Added by Andreas Smas over 11 years ago

Kal-El Junior wrote:

@max

15mb buffer, why don't you up it to like 85mb? I don't really mind about the memory issue, because the build i'm using now the latest official gets a black screen when I fast forward too much and I have to hard reset.

I usto be Showtime's number 1 fan, but I'm really doubting it now, I avoid it as much as I can, firstly because of my 5.1 system which is useless with Showtime, and secondly because Showtime does something with the audio, adds some equalizer effects of some sort which makes the audio sound disgusting, sounds like it's been processed with effects too much.

"Avoid it as much as I can"?

Are you out of your mind?

Showtime is an open source project that you have paid NOTHING for.

No-one forces you to use it. If you don't like it, simple don't use it. Go write your own media player instead.

kal-el junior do you realize that showtime will do a lot more in the future as long as andreas oman keeps updating it? makes sence right? would you keep doing what he does when poeple like you basically call his work trash? Showtime is a good program and the best option on the ps3, only today did another option become avaliable and that is a rsx driver for bsd but I doubt that bsd has a killer media player app.

Along with what mr. oman said if you don't like how it works why don't you fix it yourself and share the source changes with us?
can't do it? me neither so ask for it to be addressed or use your computer to play your files and leave us who appreciate what kind of work it takes to make a program like this.

RE: ps3 buffer hd - Added by Kal-El Junior over 11 years ago

Sorry! Ok, I'm Showtime's number one fan again, now that it outputs something other than downmixed 2.0, I didn't expect it to be fixed overnight, I guess I was your motivation :D

When I said I try to avoid Showtime, I didn't say that because I think it's "thrash" Showtime is the best app for the PS3 after Multiman, I meant because of the audio, but now that's been fixed.

And apparently the RSX driver is fake, some are saying it's just partial documentation, it hasn't been confirmed working yet.

RE: ps3 buffer hd - Added by andrew hill about 11 years ago

Thank you for making showtime fast enough to no longer need to pause and let the buffer fill. However some of my files no longer play and
I can't seem to find a thing different from the files that do play but its entire seasons that do work and entire seasons that now don't play but did, restarted ps3 and reinstalled showtime but same files do what they do. level 5.1 mkv 5.1 audio ac3 480000hz 384kbps. audio does play no video.

RE: ps3 buffer hd - Added by Andreas Smas about 11 years ago

@andrew, what version did you use?

and btw.. 480000Hz is a very high sample rate :-)

RE: ps3 buffer hd - Added by Rusty Unknown about 11 years ago

@andrew try downloading from one of Max's links on the forum to get a more up-to-date build. I had the same exact problem and Andreas fixed it recently (thanks a bunch!) so try installing a later version.

Showtime v3.1.228 had a problem playing some video files.

RE: ps3 buffer hd - Added by andrew hill about 11 years ago

lol 480000 I added a extra zero it obviously is 48000. I'll give the newer version a try.

I was using 3.1.228 when the issue showed up.

So force level 4.2 is allways on now? my files do play now thanks

1 2 3 4 (76-92/92)