ps3 buffer hd

Added by andrew hill over 11 years ago

please increase buffer size as that seems to be the reason showtime has a hard time with hd. using the xmb I can play a file at 36mbps the same file is unplayable in showtime. I decided to track down the issue and every time one of my files studders and stops the buffer ran out. after further research it seems showtime uses a 10mb buffer, can you please build it with 25mb, 50mb, and 100mb buffers and I'll test them. I would build it myself but installing a post feb 15 2011 pslight thats not v2 is proving harder than expected.

here is showtime 3.1.35 with 100mb buffer source can someone post the .self and .pkg?

Replies (92)

RE: ps3 buffer hd - Added by andrew hill over 11 years ago

here is 3.1.60 with 100mb buffer please post .self and or .pkg if you capable of building showtime.

RE: ps3 buffer hd - Added by Kal-El Junior over 11 years ago

is that the red squirrel release?

it has a 100mb buffer?

I have trouble streaming 1080p videos too, some work fine, but some freeze.

If I get a CAT6 ethernet cable would that be faster?

red squirrel is just the official ones from the git that he compiled because mr. oman was on vacation. As far as I know no one has posted a showime build with anything more than 10mb of video buffer.

what I posted is source code it needs to be compiled i'm trying to build it but the psl1ght requirement is kinda stupid. (post feb 15 2011 but NOT psl1ght v2)

RE: ps3 buffer hd - Added by Andreas Smas over 11 years ago

I will write a different cache strategy that uses disk for backing store. I think it's risky to use memory as the available memory can drop to below 100meg when watching 4.2+ h264 content with a 10mb buffer. So that leaves only 90mb of free memory.

you know what to do better than I do I just found that every time my video studders and stops its because of the buffer, can you try 25mb buffer as a short term "fix" i'll test it myself.

RE: ps3 buffer hd - Added by Max Jänsch over 11 years ago

here you are, your first upload didn't build, second one did, but not testet.

showtimebuffer.pkg (3.97 MB)

the 2010 grammy performance with eminem drake and lil wayne was my 36mbps file that was unplayable now it plays with the studders however the fact that it plays is amazing. this should fix the playback of my other files since thier bitrate is way lower.

YOU HAVE TO LET THE BUFFER FILL BUT THIS CURED MY TV SHOW PLAYBACK ISSUE, TESTED WITH MY MOST DEMANDING TV SHOW.

HOWEVER THIS IS A "DIRTY" WAY OF DOING THINGS AND MR. OMAN IS GONNA DO IT A BETTER WAY

Andreas Öman wrote:

I will write a different cache strategy that uses disk for backing store. I think it's risky to use memory as the available memory can drop to below 100meg when watching 4.2+ h264 content with a 10mb buffer. So that leaves only 90mb of free memory.

What would be the risks in this? Could it mess up the PS3 system?

Max Jänsch wrote:

here you are, your first upload didn't build, second one did, but not testet.

Should I install that? it has a 25mb buffer instead of 10mb?

there is no risk to the ps3 besides freezing it and having to restart it but I haven't had it freeze yet, also the file showtimebuffer.pkg has a 100mb buffer the reason I posted 2 source codes is because they are from different versions. I can not get over how much better the playback is with the larger buffer.

Thanksss :D

gonna' test it out right noww! and let you guys know if the previous ones that lagged and froze, still do.

I've tested it!

It's awesome!

no freezing now, buffer is half way full most of the time on 1080p movies.

@andrew hill was that lil wayne eminem & video 1080i? by any chance?

showtime has trouble with interlaced video.

yes its 1080i but with a bitrate that large I didn't expect that file to play but it does it just runs out like any other hd file did before.

Some of my HD files run out too, do I pause and let em buffer? or is there like a set bitrate I can't go over?

you have to pause and let buffer

The Showtime Repack v3.1.164 build just came out from red squirrel with a bunch of new features & updates, could someone edit the buffer to 100mb instead of 10mb like Max Jänsch did?

Is 100mb the limit? i'm not familar with ethernet cables and stuff, relating to this topic, so excuse me if I sound a little stupid :P

andrew hill wrote:

you have to pause and let buffer

I see!

thanks

I edited It and came up with the idea to increase the buffer myself max jansch just compiled it for us. also this has nothing to do with the ethernet it is the video buffer, it has to buffer from every source hdd, usb hdd, whatever

o okay!

Could you do the same with the latest version from red squirrel? :D

I've messaged red squirrel with the link to this this thread, and asked him to change the buffer size in future releases, hopefully he can improve the streaming side of things.

thats probibly a bad idea because mr. oman said that 100mb is at least 10mb too much and he's going to change how the buffer works

this is a temporary hacky fix

you already did it, can't you do it again?

I just need a temp fix until the proper fix comes, i'd do it myself but I have no clue how.

if you tell me what you've changed or provide me with the changed sourcecode i can build showtime with different buffer sizes until the way buffering works get changed.

thanks!

hopefully andrew hill can provide you with that information.

just a quick question, does anyone know a way I can install 2 versions of showtime at once? I tried changing the title id by editing the PARAM.SFO but it still got replaced by the newer version.

Just incase it's not possible to edit the buffer on the latest release, I could switch between 2 of them.

simply install this version and the normal version from my site, you'll have showtime in the video-category as showtime-mediaplayer and showtime in the games-category. the one in games is the one with changed buffersize.

Max Jänsch wrote:

simply install this version and the normal version from my site, you'll have showtime in the video-category as showtime-mediaplayer and showtime in the games-category. the one in games is the one with changed buffersize.

could you give me the link to your website? since I don't know what it is.

So I install this one showtimebuffer.pkg and the one from your website ontop? Can't I install the Redsquirrel release? I want that release since it has a Global Zoom function that I need!

:)

the link is http://www.jaensch-koloska.de/maximilian/ps3/showtime/showtime.zip or http://www.jaensch-koloska.de/maximilian/ps3/showtime/showtimegh.zip
i installed the other way round, first the normal version then showtimebuffer.pkg, but i guess it's also working if you install showtimebuffer first. don't know about redsuirrel builds but as far as i understand he only compiles sourcecode without changing it. this means his builds and mine are practically the same cause i don't do anything else. only difference is that i moved showtime in the video-category and a different directory plus the backgroundimage. if he also changed the place where showtime is installed i think you can also use his builds if not you'll overwrite one with the other. or maybe i'll change the directory for the showtimebuffer.pkg... depends if i get the information from andrew hill and how much work it is to change the buffer size.

1 2 3 4 (1-25/92)