Movie/TVshow covers/thumbnails?

Added by Kal-El Junior about 11 years ago

Hey :)

I was just wondering if the devs of this fantastic piece of software are working on adding covers.

Like how multiman does.

Check this pic:
http://www.ps3news.com/images/img_26661-2.jpg

The way it works in multiman is you insert your image file and name it as "COVER.JPG" in the folder of the movie.

Replies (65)

RE: Movie/TVshow covers/thumbnails? - Added by Andreas Smas almost 11 years ago

Well, any ideas are welcome.
I'm experimenting with a new list layout that can be enabled in settings -> UI -> Alternate list layout.

RE: Movie/TVshow covers/thumbnails? - Added by Girish Patel almost 11 years ago

Andreas Öman wrote:

I'm experimenting with a new list layout that can be enabled in settings -> UI -> Alternate list layout.

I've seen that layout and it looks good. It has enough room for movie info etc which is good. What I think nearly all users are waiting for is something that lets you have covers for movies. Even if its simple. But I understand there are different ways of adding covers.

Manually placing covers in the same folder as the movie (That works currently in the music section as I can add artwork and it displays. The only downside to that is the image is too small. I would prefer a large album cover in the right hand box). Anyhow it means the covers are added and stored by the user.

Showtime automatically searching an online database of covers. Assigning an ID for the movie and attaching a cover of the same ID. I know there are a lot of movie databases but I'm not sure how it would be implemented and lastly how easy would it be?

I personally prefer creating my own covers but thinking about I've got around 500 movie files so that would take some time!! :O

RE: Movie/TVshow covers/thumbnails? - Added by Kal-El Junior almost 11 years ago

http://www.worldinhidef.com/ps3ms/thumbnailgenerator/

That's the thumbnail generator the ps3mediaserver guys use.

Something auto would be great, but what ever Andreas comes up with, i'll be happy with it :)

It has been a bit puzzling to me as to why nothing has been done for covers. I'm a designer so I guess think visual where a programmer thinks of how everything works. Would it be hard to write a script that displays 'moviename.png' instead of the default icon? That would be a simple step to get the ball rolling for covers.

I've done some initial work on this, see this commit: http://bit.ly/rFTdkO

Support for movie cover arts in same directory

Very simple. If there is move called something.xxx and an image called
something.yyy the browse will hide the image from browse list and
use it as icon for the movie instead.

That's great news!

I've just done a build just in case it works now! haha! But its not working yet.

RE: Movie/TVshow covers/thumbnails? - Added by Kal-El Junior almost 11 years ago

Andreas Öman wrote:

[...]

niceeeee!

When red squirrel compiles it into a build, i'll check it out.

Are we restricted to any format of images?

RE: Movie/TVshow covers/thumbnails? - Added by Max Jänsch almost 11 years ago

Andreas Öman wrote:

[...]

just put some .jpg inside my movie folder to test this. looks nice, guess i have to find matching ones for my movies now...

I used png files! So it looks like its jpg files :)

It should work with any image format Showtime can display (png, jpeg or gif)

tried jpg files but I still can't get it to work.

As mentioned before what are the criteria's for images? Can you have spaces, brackets (as I label my movies with the year in brackets). etc.

Thanks in advance.

Girish Patel wrote:

tried jpg files but I still can't get it to work.

As mentioned before what are the criteria's for images? Can you have spaces, brackets (as I label my movies with the year in brackets). etc.

1) Do you use uPNP? It does not work over uPNP (yet).

2) The filenames (for the image and movie) needs to be identical up to the final dot.

3) The file postfix (that after the dot) does not really mater for Showtime. However, if the file ends with png, jpg or gif Showtime will be able to guess the file format faster.

Thanks in advance.

So that's my problem as everything is running from my NAS drive. Just tried it from a usb stick and it works great! I'd better get prepared for some long nights gathering all my movie covers!!! :)

Girish Patel wrote:

So that's my problem as everything is running from my NAS drive. Just tried it from a usb stick and it works great! I'd better get prepared for some long nights gathering all my movie covers!!! :)

Actually I'm not even sure it can be done in a good fashion with UPnP.

It depends a lot on the actual server I guess.

Andreas Öman wrote:

Actually I'm not even sure it can be done in a good fashion with UPnP.

It depends a lot on the actual server I guess.

I have an Iomega Home Media Network Drive and the spec says "Built in Audio Video Media Server: UPnP™ DLNA Certified®: Provides the ability to stream photos, audio content and videos to a variety of media devices, such as game consoles (Microsoft Xbox® 360, Sony PlayStation® 3), audio bridges, iTunes™ players, picture frames, Iomega ScreenPlay products and more".

I always have noticed that directly from the ps3 hard drive or usb stick you get more information displayed in showtime when you run down the file list such as video type, audio type etc. Files from the NAS drive you just get the title with no video/audio track info.

I'll keep my fingers crossed to see how well it works. I'll be happy with just an image! :)

Andreas Öman wrote:

Have you any idea when covers will work over uPNP? All my covers are ready :-)

Most of my movies are on my hard drive connected to my computer, I stream via ethernet, which makes this pretty useless for me, since it doesn't work.

The recent build by the squirrel guy also doesn't let me stream 1080p content no more, it freezes up, only the last official release works for me.

I appreciate the effort though, thanks.

Girish Patel wrote:

Andreas Öman wrote:

Have you any idea when covers will work over uPNP? All my covers are ready :-)

Has there been any movement on this? Would it involve a lot of work?

Thank you in advance.

Girish Patel wrote:

Has there been any movement on this? Would it involve a lot of work?

I've looked at it a bit and i'm not even sure it can be properly done. The two UPNP servers i've been testing with does not list videos and images in the same browse results.
And the file/video files are referred to as object identifiers so it's not really possible to pair them.

The way UPNP is designed it's really the UPNP server that is supposed to pair movies with covers and not the client.

Do you or anyone else know any UPNP software that does that?

The way UPNP is designed it's really the UPNP server that is supposed to pair movies with covers and not the client.

I have no idea but will research into it. (I've just spent some time looking into it and found this <upnp:albumArtURI> the attached document has something about I think too)

How do the music files display covers for songs? Is that done slightly different? I ask because I can see album covers with my music files stored on my has drive.

Girish Patel wrote:

I have no idea but will research into it. (I've just spent some time looking into it and found this <upnp:albumArtURI> the attached document has something about I think too)

How do the music files display covers for songs? Is that done slightly different? I ask because I can see album covers with my music files stored on my has drive.

It's something that's done by the uPNP server. Each item have an associated image and, if set, showtime displays that.

RE: Movie/TVshow covers/thumbnails? - Added by Mike Rulez almost 11 years ago

Hi, i use Yammm for my personal movies collection, it rename your files, add the year and you get the cover of the file and also a backdrop as pictures plus metadata, a nice little tool imho. Hope there could be ntfs support in the near future so i could connect my external drive and stop needing for the pc to stream movies i want to watch :P

RE: Movie/TVshow covers/thumbnails? - Added by Ajith Thampi over 10 years ago

Hey Guys, good news! I can see cover art with the latest showtime build and my Upnp Twonky Media server. I can see that the <folder>/<filename>.jpg file is being displayed in the right window pane. Lovely to see some pictures, give a whole new dimension to things now. If this is old news, my bad, but I was really excited :)

But I have to crib a little and recommend some changes, which again should be just a few lines of code only I guess.

1. The cover art displayed is really small. It needs to be more view-able. I would suggest it to cover all of or atleast 80% of the right window pane.
2. The movie folders still show the 'folder' icon. Each movie folder should display the <movie>/<moviename>.jpg or whatever covert art is defined.
3. The new UI layout should display covert art much bigger.

(Well Showtime crashes more often these days, but that's a different set of problem from this anyway. But I am still with Showtime... )

RE: Movie/TVshow covers/thumbnails? - Added by Girish Patel over 10 years ago

I've just browsed video files from my Acer Tablet (which is on the network wirelessly) using Showtime. And Showtime gave me thumbnails for 3gp video files!!! It's never done that before.

But still nothing from my NAS drive :(

RE: Movie/TVshow covers/thumbnails? - Added by Ajith Thampi over 10 years ago

Girish Patel wrote:

I've just browsed video files from my Acer Tablet (which is on the network wirelessly) using Showtime. And Showtime gave me thumbnails for 3gp video files!!! It's never done that before.

Browse on android with show time? Is there an app available?

But still nothing from my NAS drive :(

Weirdly mine worked :-) using a Thecus NAS server with twonky media serverwith Upnp!

1 2 3 (26-50/65)