DLNA beam or Apple Airplay support?

Added by Tom Mottom over 11 years ago

Hi Andreas,

i don't know if you have heard anything about beaming media to Digital Media Renderer via DLNA or Airplay.

But that would be such a great feature, to controll the PS3 media via smartphone.

For example Twonky Mobile Server can browse the NAS for media and has a function "play to Media Renderer". However the PS3 doesn't nativly support rendering media via DLNA. Only play Media via DLNA.

Is it possible to add that protocol or even include Airplay? the source for airplay is open source and can be downloaded here (Linux):

http://mafipulation.org/blagoblig/2011/04/08#shairport

Some thoughts of your view would be appreciated.

edit:

i just tried it and "showtime" really appears as Media Renderer for my Twonky mobile Server. That's already cool :D but somehow it doesn't play :(

Replies (30)

RE: DLNA beam or Apple Airplay support? - Added by Tom Mottom over 11 years ago

i am wondering, why noone replied in here.

I quess maybe people don't really know, what "beaming" media via dlna is or don't know dlna that good anyway.

For those, who don't know what i mean:

If showtime will have support as Digital Media Renderer, you could for example have a NAS with all your music,photos and videos on it ; browse them via your smartphone but let it play on your PS3. Like the smartphone tells the ps3 what it has to play/do.

-> in short : make your smartphone a ps3 remote control

For listening to music it would be great, because you don't need the TV turned on. Just select a single mp3 or even a whole playlist via phone.

airplay is almost the same as DLNA. Just another protocol.

@andreas: Will it be much work to implement starting the player, when media is beamed to ps3? Your dlna code already shows up on the smartphone as "showtime".

RE: DLNA beam or Apple Airplay support? - Added by Andreas Smas over 11 years ago

Tom Mottom wrote:

i am wondering, why noone replied in here.

I quess maybe people don't really know, what "beaming" media via dlna is or don't know dlna that good anyway.

For those, who don't know what i mean:

If showtime will have support as Digital Media Renderer, you could for example have a NAS with all your music,photos and videos on it ; browse them via your smartphone but let it play on your PS3. Like the smartphone tells the ps3 what it has to play/do.

-> in short : make your smartphone a ps3 remote control

For listening to music it would be great, because you don't need the TV turned on. Just select a single mp3 or even a whole playlist via phone.

airplay is almost the same as DLNA. Just another protocol.

@andreas: Will it be much work to implement starting the player, when media is beamed to ps3? Your dlna code already shows up on the smartphone as "showtime".

I had this in mind when i implemented the UPNP stack for Showtime. I just didn't have time/motivation to finish that at the time.

Mostly because I didn't find a good control point (ie. app) for my iPhone. Do you have any suggestions which one to use? If you use iPhone that is?

yeah please finish that. i can recommend you 2 great apps for iphone, which i use.

the best working is "twonky server mobile" . Twonky is fine for everything like Twonkyserver for nas, for pc (use twonkymanager), twonkybeam as firefoxplugin etc. etc.

another app, which supports Digital media controlloer would be plugplayer. It is also really nice , but has sometimes a few bugs.

i would love to see this :)

RE: DLNA beam or Apple Airplay support? - Added by Silver Mane over 11 years ago

I would love to see this implemented as well!
It's been one of the things I was most disappointed with in the PS3, it only being a DMP.

Besides iPhone, there are also tons of apps on android so you can use your phone as DMC.
And I suppose that even WP7 will allow some sort of DMC functionality.

All in all, I think it would be a great asset to a lot of users if showtime were the first to turn the PS3 into a fully functional DMR! ;)

exactly my point of view. nowadays where the music is digital and the energy (when tv needs to be on )costs a lot of money, i am sure many people would love to see the implementation.

what are your plans on this andreas? Do you place this as long or short term? Want me to make a ticket?

my hope all goes for showtime to bring this feature to ps3 :)

RE: DLNA beam or Apple Airplay support? - Added by Sebastian . over 11 years ago

hi there,

this would be amazing.

is this already in work or can we expect that in the near future? If so i don't have to buy a new AV receiver :D

RE: DLNA beam or Apple Airplay support? - Added by Andreas Smas over 11 years ago

I have some Airplay support semi-working in a branch. But during development I kinda messed up the config on my wife's iPhone (I only have an iPhone 3G with no airplay support) and she got a bit mad at me so I don't dare touch it again :-)

RE: DLNA beam or Apple Airplay support? - Added by Sebastian . over 11 years ago

oh i see. if you want me to test things for you/us out, just let me know.

What exactly is already semi working? :D

but i think an updated dlna protocol (with dlna rendering) would be as good as airplay as well.

What would be easier to manage?

Showtime can already act as a DLNA media renderer. But I don't think it support all of the required features.

oh how do i do that?

i know it can play music from nas as digital media player. But how can i use it as renderer?

i just tried to beam a song to it, but it won't start playing the file.

please help me :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoRg5Aw3lXs

neither my tv, nor my av receiver can act as media renderer. so i also hope the ps3 can do this with showtime.

that's what i mean Tom .

are you coding on this andreas or won't you add it? just curious :)

I've started to fix UPNP/DLNA support but it's a bit tricky. All of the control points i've tried with (except coherence) just bails out with no error message at all.

Airplay is quite simple to get going on Linux. The big problem here is getting a Bonjour/mDNS/zeroconf stack running on the PS3

thank you for the info/update. Much appreciated :)

RE: DLNA beam or Apple Airplay support? - Added by Silver Mane about 11 years ago

Great to see you are working on this Andreas!
If you're looking for control points (DMC apps): borrow a cheap android phone and download one of the many Android apps around that function as DMC. I'm sure at least one of them will have logging...

Don't give up on this please!!!

RE: DLNA beam or Apple Airplay support? - Added by Rusty Unknown about 11 years ago

The PSP can remote play the PS3. I think there is a simple flag you need to set in the param.sfo file to enable you to open it using the PSP remote play feature (The ps3 will deny any app to open via remote play unless you have this set).

Then you can simply use the PSP via wifi to access the ps3 media on Showtime anywhere you have an internet connection and your PSP available.

I don't think it requires any special code on Showtime, because the PS3 will simply render the screen as a video format and send it to the PSP, so really the PSP is just playing a video with button interaction :) You only need to add the setting to let the PS3 know it is a remote play allowed application.

For example, look at this http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=21466

Someone enabled remote play for psp already. It only requires some editing of the PARAM.SFO file.

RE: DLNA beam or Apple Airplay support? - Added by Tom Mottom about 11 years ago

well remote play and dlna controlling are 2 different things.
I prefer dlna/airplay,because you can set playlist quite easily and not all ppl have a psp or will buy one,just to select their media in showtime. Using any dlna smartphone would be just magnificent :)

Tbh i was thinking about using a psp as well for that, because it's a tricky kind of alternative. :) but not really worth the efforr uf andreas can get dlna or airplay to work.

RE: DLNA beam or Apple Airplay support? - Added by Rusty Unknown about 11 years ago

I agree DLNA server support would be neat. I was just letting people know you can get similar functionality with a PSP on wifi (mainly for those who already own a PSP). The same could be said about people not wanting to buy an expensive smartphone just for DLNA either :p I don't think anyone would buy an expensive device for just one task like this.

The best alternative until/if support is added into Showtime is just to use a PC, since everyone talking on here probably has one. It seems like this feature could take a lot of work and time to implement correctly, and you would need to support different conversion formats for different devices im sure. I'm not a developer but it seems like a "long term" feature. There are still many other improvements needed for Showtime as a media player and that is it's primary use.

I just don't think we'll see this feature anytime soon.

What do you mean by a DLNA smartphone? Is that any different from a phone using a DLNA app over WiFi/cell phone network? Pretty much any smartphone should have it by now though with DLNA apps for them like Android and iPhone markets.

Maybe Andreas can give us a development time estimate :)

I have a Motorola DROID right now so it would be nice to have (Mostly because I won't need to have an extra copy of my media on the PC for DLNA), but I'm more interested on other improvements.

RE: DLNA beam or Apple Airplay support? - Added by Tom Mottom about 11 years ago

yes i just mean a normal smartphone with wifi and apps like twonky or plugplay, which make the smartphone a dmc :)

RE: DLNA beam or Apple Airplay support? - Added by Ajith Thampi about 11 years ago

Is this feature tracked in the issue tracker? I would very much want to follow it there as this is quite an important feature.

no it isn't yet. would you mind create one? :D

would also like to follow this.

RE: DLNA beam or Apple Airplay support? - Added by Ajith Thampi about 11 years ago

Feature#704 created for this. please update this issue if I have not conveyed the details properly.

Thanks.

And i agree with tge top5-rating :)

I don't know any other media software, which is able to do that.

RE: DLNA beam or Apple Airplay support? - Added by Andreas Smas about 11 years ago

Ok. I'll continue to work on this. UPNP/DLNA should be easiest to get running as it's mostly done.

Still need to debug with more control points and try to figure out why it does not work.

This is what I love about the Showtime team, they are ready to listen to their fans ;)

All the way with you guys...

1 2 (1-25/30)